University of Miami Fires Coach Randy Shannon

Obviously he was not recruiting enough future convicts.....:biggrin:
The U will compete again but at what price?

I grew up in Hollywood myself and use to go to Ron Frasiers baseball camp at the University every summer. Was never much into football tho.

coach

One program had thugs won championships and cleaned up then lost 5 games a year. Another program got thugs and won championships and are now losing 5 games but the ? is does history repeat itself & are they going to clean up :eek:

Attachments

• 38386_427237218152_86602348152_4723228_5503703_n.jpg
    38386_427237218152_86602348152_4723228_5503703_n.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 105
One program had thugs won championships and cleaned up then lost 5 games a year. Another program got thugs and won championships and are now losing 5 games but the ? is does history repeat itself & are they going to clean up :eek:

They will have the best players money can buy........:biggrin::biggrin:

since when do sports and morals go hand and hand? got one word for ya..... Vic! personally, I could really care less if the players were bought, stole or extorted. they are there to entertain me period! how they got there and under what circumstances means absolutely nothing to me.

sports

since when do sports and morals go hand and hand? got one word for ya..... Vic! personally, I could really care less if the players were bought, stole or extorted. they are there to entertain me period! how they got there and under what circumstances means absolutely nothing to me.

I agree.

Look at the yankees. They buy players and don't always win. Look at the heat. They bought 3 great players and lose. There is more to it than that and they are there for entertainment for sure but it's big business too. Colleges make a lot of money, players get degrees and or drafter to the pros.

The U will compete again but at what price?

Personally I think that as long as Shalala is President we will never be good. She is a cheap p.o.s. and I can't stand her. Have you seen the University of Miami athletics commercial on TV?! She doesn't even know how to "throw up the U" the right way - fingers spread, thumbs not touching and chit...looks like she is throwin up "10" :rolleyes:

Nice where in Hollywood?
Actually I think it was Pembroke Pines or was it Pasadena Lakes. Not sure if that is part of Hollywood. It was a very long time ago.

I did go to a small Christian school in Hollywood called Prince of Peace tho. Cant remember if Hollywood and Pembroke Pines are seperate or not.

All I know if Baseball and Football are HUGE down there. We palyed baseball year round and it was very competitive. The Cubans were good down in Miami but we would almost ayways beat them. We had a couple kids on my team that went pro actually and one went to play for the UOM. Sure do miss that great weather.

We has professional lighting back in 1978 for the Baseball/football fields. I dont know of any fields around here that have lighting like that. I guess it was because it was just too dam hot to play in the day time.

I guess I am a little different, grew up a Dolphin fan, will always be a dolphin fan. Used to live in the Deerfield beach area.

When we moved away, my mother bought me a subscription to Dolphin Digest, and they had a section that was called the "Hurricane Watch".I really started to like the Hurricanes also, it helped that they were not real popular at the time. This was early eighties, and they were just getting good, and I was very young.

Fast forward a few years, and they are probably the best team in college football, but the way they acted, and the things that happened turned me off, i could no longer care what they do.

They always make excuses for it by saying they are unfairly judged or something, makes no difference to me, i just no longer follow any one team in college, just like the underdogs, and good games.

Fast forward a few years, and they are probably the best team in college football, but the way they acted, and the things that happened turned me off, i could no longer care what they do.

Personally I couldn't care less what outsiders thought of their "image" and antics - my philosophy is this: if you're good enough, you can talk all the smack and do whatever you want.

The Jimmy Johnson days of dancing and celebrating even though there were 15-yard penalties need to come back. The typical outsider will see that as classless or whatever...but the "true U" fans know those antics are what won the games. Teams were so intimidated by us that the game was settled before kickoff. The 30-for-30 documentary showed us winning a coin toss against OU and instead of saying whether we wanted to kick or receive, we replied "we the boss" and the ref used his judgement to decide what that meant.

Yes, Penn State blew it up in our faces...but I count that as the one exception that is still outweighed by several other instances of positive outcome. I think Shalala and (formerly) Randy Shannon are/were too worried about losing the "Thug image" which realistically hasn't been there for years now, rather than putting winning as #1 priority...

Personally I couldn't care less what outsiders thought of their "image" and antics - my philosophy is this: if you're good enough, you can talk all the smack and do whatever you want.

The Jimmy Johnson days of dancing and celebrating even though there were 15-yard penalties need to come back. The typical outsider will see that as classless or whatever...but the "true U" fans know those antics are what won the games. Teams were so intimidated by us that the game was settled before kickoff. The 30-for-30 documentary showed us winning a coin toss against OU and instead of saying whether we wanted to kick or receive, we replied "we the boss" and the ref used his judgement to decide what that meant.

Yes, Penn State blew it up in our faces...but I count that as the one exception that is still outweighed by several other instances of positive outcome. I think Shalala and (formerly) Randy Shannon are/were too worried about losing the "Thug image" which realistically hasn't been there for years now, rather than putting winning as #1 priority...

Seems to me that if you did not care what "outsiders" thought, you probably would not have brought my "thoughts" were enough to bring them down in quotes.

I am happily a outsider, that would never get excited about a player answering "we the boss" to whether they wanted to kick or receive.

Yep, you guys are awesome! How well did those skills help out the majority of the kids that did not go pro?

One more thing, that "philosophy" about being ok with whatever you do, as long as your good enough?

I would love to see you practice that in real life, if someone out performs you at work, or in the classroom....doesn't happen.

Yep, you guys are awesome! How well did those skills help out the majority of the kids that did not go pro?

You look at it from that perspective...I look at the fact that Miami has put more players IN the NFL than any other school; has had more players drafted into the NFL than any other school; has had more 1st round draft picks (total and in a single year) than any other school; more players that go to the Pro Bowl than any other school; etc. etc. etc.

Let's be realistic - NCAA Div. 1 athletes, football players especially, are there to go pro. THAT is their #1 priority whether you want to believe it or not. Miami (formerly) has proven that they are the best place at getting their players where the want to be...even if it comes along with an "image" some may not like

One more thing, that "philosophy" about being ok with whatever you do, as long as your good enough?

I would love to see you practice that in real life, if someone out performs you at work, or in the classroom....doesn't happen.

That makes no sense - my point was being able to do what you want because no one CAN outperform you. I see it as an earned privelage - Miami turned themselves into a powerhouse and were therefore able to talk all the smack they wanted to...because they could back it up.

Its more of a mental game than anything. You don't seem like you've ever played a sport in life, but getting into an athele's head is the most effective and efficient way to beat them. Look at Cortland Finnegan of the Titans yesterday - he has been getting worked for the past 4 years by Andre Johnson (who was a Miami Hurricane i'd like to point out). Finnegan constantly got beat, and constantly got fed up with Johnson because he was flat-out better than Finnegan. Johnson repeatedly burned him and even did so in their game yesterday. So what happens? Finnegan snaps, starts giving Johnson cheap shots, and then get shis a$$ beat on top of it...and Johnson STILL got the game ball because he is that raw.

Do you have any idea how many div 1 athletes there are, and how many actually go pro?

Not a very good percentage, also nobody is arguing with the sucess they have had, i have high opinions of some, like ed reed, and andre johnson, while others leave much to be desired.

Do you have any idea how many div 1 athletes there are, and how many actually go pro?

Not a very good percentage, also nobody is arguing with the sucess they have had, i have high opinions of some, like ed reed, and andre johnson, while others leave much to be desired.

I DO have an "idea" of how many NCAA athletes there are...I was one. I DO understand what the percentage is of those who actually go pro, which is why I specifically said "football players especially." I feel like this argument is gonna start going in circles, but its a simple fact that these players are trying to go to the NFL...every one of them. No one says "I wanna play major D-1 football then be the manager at Target with my Business degree, rather than go to the NFL afterwards."

As cliche as this will sound, it IS all about the Swagger...and The U invented that Swagger. Its what won them 6 national championships and set all those records they still have to-date, regardless of how much they have underachieved in recent years