Uninsured motorist accident?

mscj

Wife was hit in a parking lot a week ago or so--nothing too bad, just a cracked front bumper cover on her Isuzu Ascender. Police came, wrote up an accident report stating the other party was at fault, other party produced an insurance card that I assume showed she had current liability coverage. Fast forward to today, we get a call from her supposed insurance company stating her coverage expired in October last year. I do have full coverage on the Isuzu (including uninsured motorist), but I'm out $250 deduct to repair it. Anyone been through a similar situation and did you get any compensation out of the deal? Haven't done this for quite some time, just at a loss as to what I might be able to do......thanks.

Wife was hit in a parking lot a week ago or so--nothing too bad, just a cracked front bumper cover on her Isuzu Ascender. Police came, wrote up an accident report stating the other party was at fault, other party produced an insurance card that I assume showed she had current liability coverage. Fast forward to today, we get a call from her supposed insurance company stating her coverage expired in October last year. I do have full coverage on the Isuzu (including uninsured motorist), but I'm out $250 deduct to repair it. Anyone been through a similar situation and did you get any compensation out of the deal? Haven't done this for quite some time, just at a loss as to what I might be able to do......thanks.

I'd notify the police, I'm not sure about every state, but I think it's illegal to drive without insurance.

Yup--liability required here--I was thinking about calling them in the morning with the report number and seeing if I could at least get her a damn fine out of the deal......would really like to get my $250 out of her, but I bet that won't happen either.

That is pretty common. A legit license or registration can be looked up on the computer to see if it's valid. An insurance card is a little more difficult because most of them are valid for (1) year and there is no national data bank that the police can search to see if an operator has valid insurance. They could get their insurance card and stop making insurance payments. People switch insurance companies all the time so there is no current way to keep up with who does or doesnt have insurance.

A police officer could easily check to see if ones insurance is vaid by simply calling the inurance company but if the person shows a valid insurance card it is assumed they have insurance. It's not a perfect system.

You need to go back to the PD and advise them that the striking party did not have valid insurance at the time of the accident. The PD will need a faxed letter from the insurer stating what day the policy was cancelled. From there its simply a matter of applying for an arrest warrant and making the other party pay restitution. But you will have to request this. The PD won't do it on their own. They would have no knowledge that the party had no insurance unless you advise them of such.

Im sure they have some type of traffic division that handles cases like that all the time. There is no need to go after them civally, just insure the PD does their job.

Very interesting info--my wife was informed that a letter was on the way to us stating that very fact....I think I will see if they'll follow up. Thanks for the heads up.

That is pretty common. A legit license or registration can be looked up on the computer to see if it's valid. An insurance card is a little more difficult because most of them are valid for (1) year and there is no national data bank that the police can search to see if an operator has valid insurance. They could get their insurance card and stop making insurance payments. People switch insurance companies all the time so there is no current way to keep up with who does or doesnt have insurance.

A police officer could easily check to see if ones insurance is vaid by simply calling the inurance company but if the person shows a valid insurance card it is assumed they have insurance. It's not a perfect system.

You need to go back to the PD and advise them that the striking party did not have valid insurance at the time of the accident. The PD will need a faxed letter from the insurer stating what day the policy was cancelled. From there its simply a matter of applying for an arrest warrant and making the other party pay restitution. But you will have to request this. The PD won't do it on their own. They would have no knowledge that the party had no insurance unless you advise them of such.

Im sure they have some type of traffic division that handles cases like that all the time. There is no need to go after them civally, just insure the PD does their job.

A good friend of mine had uninsured motorist on her escalade,she got hit by a guy in a grandnational with no insurance,she is hurt bad,the guy is a loser and in jail for other things and she had surgery and is still hurting bad and her insurance is fighting against her to not pay for the stuff she should have been covered with...Unreal her own insurance company fighting her??

I had that happen a long time ago. I had my car repaired under my insurance(USAA) - I had to pay the deductable. My insurance company then went after the person who caused the accident and I ended up getting my deductable back from my insurance company months later.