UMI Upper and Lower Control Arms

MCH86GN

I replaced my front upper and lower control arms, with supposedly the equivalent upper and lower A arms from UMI. Now the front end of my car, sets about and inch lower than it did. It already set low, its an 86. Has anyone else every seen this. These were just supposed to replace the stock ones, which were in bad shape. Ball joints and all. Now I see that gbody offers the stock replacements for both upper and lower. I have too much invested in the these to pull them off and go for the stock replacements. The only thing I can think of is that I compressed the front springs on both sides to install the uppers and I'm wondering if that changed the compression spring constant.

The main question, has anyone had the car lower when replacing the upper and lower controls arms with aforementioned upper and lower arms?

I know nothing about suspension, but could I put different shock and maybe raise it that way. I know the springs are the main control of the heights, but would some stiffer or bigger shocks help any.

Did you use the stock G body springs? What spring is supposed to be used with the UMI control arms? You don't want to control height by changing your shocks. I have UMI's on the rear of my 442 and I'm happy with them.

The A arms should not have made a difference in ride height and changing shocks will NOT alter your ride height.

I installed the g body uppers and umi lowers on my car. I too noticed the front is lower now. I think it is in the lower. The spring seat is at a lower point/ ball joint is placed higher. Here are before and after pictures.

Attachments

• framenotch 024.jpg
    framenotch 024.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 450
  • fall10picsbuick 002.jpg
    fall10picsbuick 002.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 454
  • framenotch 022.jpg
    framenotch 022.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 450
  • fall10picsbuick 001.jpg
    fall10picsbuick 001.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 460
This is a common occurance with the UMI lower and BMR lower A-arms. The spring pockets set lower in reference to the ball joint. In many cases, your best off to leave your stockers in if your not wnating a lower ride height. The only real thing you can do at this point is to replace your front springs with 5660 moogs which will raise you back up roughly 3/4". -------Jeremy

I installed the g body uppers and umi lowers on my car. I too noticed the front is lower now. I think it is in the lower. The spring seat is at a lower point/ ball joint is placed higher. Here are before and after pictures.

Thanks for the pics. I will need to compare, if possible. Would it be possible for you to measure the distance between the top of your tire to wheel well. I have and tell me the tire six you have on front. So that way I have a relatively close apples to apples comparison.

I should have put this in the message I sent you earlier.

Thanks,
Charles

This is a common occurance with the UMI lower and BMR lower A-arms. The spring pockets set lower in reference to the ball joint. In many cases, your best off to leave your stockers in if your not wnating a lower ride height. The only real thing you can do at this point is to replace your front springs with 5660 moogs which will raise you back up roughly 3/4". -------Jeremy

Jeremy, as long as my car is functional and my wheels aren't hitting the wheel at top I don't car about the lowering. This is an 86, so it sets lower than and 87 anyway. I can't go back to stockers, because I have spent a lot of money on the new and the stockers are long gone. They were rusted really bad and in bad shape, I tried to replace the bushing and ball joints but while pulling these parts out I bent things and it just wasn't worth trying to fix. I will try and get a pic of my car and the height it is set at and do a comparison to the above vehicle. The other thing is that it needs an alignment, that won't raise the car but when I go lock to lock on my steering both tires are hitting the back of the wheel well. Reminder you that I replaced the tie rods and center steering bar, so I think an alignment should take care of the that.

Now say that I the top of my wheel is hitting my wheel well, would a stiffer stock help or will it make the fee worse when driving? I know nothing about suspension.

Thanks,
Charles

I am running 205/75 tires on the front, which are 27.5" tall. I can't measure the front now, the engine is out of the car.

MCH86GN, If you need a set of real nice stockers with brand new bushings and painted let me know. I have a full set sitting here...

SW.

MCH86GN, If you need a set of real nice stockers with brand new bushings and painted let me know. I have a full set sitting here...

SW.

what kind and how much? my car sets from the ground to the highest point on the wheel well molding 25.25" I need something that will get me at least an inch higher.

I would take Scott up on that offer and put his original stock lowers on. That'll solve all of your problems!;) Scott, if you havent sold the uppers, how much are you looking to get out of those? I might have a use for them and could help you sell them possibly! ----Jeremy

I would take Scott up on that offer and put his original stock lowers on. That'll solve all of your problems!;) Scott, if you havent sold the uppers, how much are you looking to get out of those? I might have a use for them and could help you sell them possibly! ----Jeremy

I thought he was talking about springs. No way I'm replacing the $600 UMI upper and lowers I just put on. The front of my car sets 1 and 3/4 lower than stock 87. Remember stock 86 had 1" lower anyway. If I can buy a stock replacement pair of springs and gain an inch, that solves my problem.

I thought he was talking about springs. No way I'm replacing the $600 UMI upper and lowers I just put on. The front of my car sets 1 and 3/4 lower than stock 87. Remember stock 86 had 1" lower anyway. If I can buy a stock replacement pair of springs and gain an inch, that solves my problem.
OR you can buy a spacer and install them in front too...remember the size of the spacer actually doubles the heigh of the car in relation to the spacer size....Example: If you install a 1/4" spacer it will raise your car 1/2"!!

Scot W.

Give me a call Jeremy, I have two full sets sitting here....One set out of my car with crummy bushings and the other set painted with brand new Moog bushings...

Scot W.

uppers, lowers, or both?

what kind of shape are the balljoints in?

Bob