uh-oh

Ok it looks like the green clutches I had where raybestos and the forward clutches are starting to delaminate also no hot spots on these.
The tan low/rev seem fine same with the forth and over run.
The band is pouched and the direct drum is smoked.
I have another that I got from a parts trans I purchased to tear down and familiarize myself with.
The forward drum from my parts trans has an aluminum apply ring and half the half as many return springs. Should I add the extra springs to it?

forward drum

Here is a pic of the drum with the aluminum apply ring and half the springs.
also a forward clutch that has delaminated in 1 piece.
Direct drum as been cooked too.
I have a replacement so i should get it back together.

All new clutches and a band.

Attachments

• P3010001.JPG
    P3010001.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 322
  • P3010002.JPG
    P3010002.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 330
  • P3010003.JPG
    P3010003.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 318
2nd try

Alright new borg warner clutches throughout, alto wide band, rebuilt the pump and upgraded it to 13 vanes over the stock 7 vane pump. Added a large bore low/rev valve. Stronger pressure regulator spring.

Island Torque Converter build me a converter that stalls at 3000 its sweet. $375.00 out of a stock core with anti ballooning plates pinned stator and kevlar lockup clutch.

So far it works great I'll up date on my first service.

Alright new borg warner clutches throughout, alto wide band, rebuilt the pump and upgraded it to 13 vanes over the stock 7 vane pump. Added a large bore low/rev valve. Stronger pressure regulator spring.

Island Torque Converter build me a converter that stalls at 3000 its sweet. $375.00 out of a stock core with anti ballooning plates pinned stator and kevlar lockup clutch.

So far it works great I'll up date on my first service.

How did you measure and clearance the pump? Was it a pump and slide from GM? If you just slapped it together without measuring id go back to the 7 vane to avoid a lot of problems. Most dont have the ability or tools to properly set up a pump. The stator support to pump runout needs to be addressed also.

All right what sort of problems could I encounter? It was an AC delco part I installed. What clearances do I have to address?
My manual Haynes didn't show mention anything........
Arrrrrrgh out it comes again?

All right what sort of problems could I encounter? It was an AC delco part I installed. What clearances do I have to address?
My manual Haynes didn't show mention anything........
Arrrrrrgh out it comes again?

Dont worry about the pump. If you have good pressure thats all that is needed. Blue printing a pump is a real pain. I promise you GM did not do it. Guys like myself who make a living building these units do it cause the pump is the life of the trans. Looking at your other parts looks they were faulty. Real odd for blue plates. Send back to Raybestos they will replace.

Defective or possible water damage.

Pressure check cooler in radiator if you are using it. It doesn't take much water to steam the lining from clutch plates. Pressure washing engine and trans at a carwash could also introduce water into the transmission. You can use Plastigage to check rotor and slide clearances, but ALL traces of it must be removed before final assembly.

I know this is old but I have run into the same broken spring in the accumulator.

IMAG2667-1.jpg

IMAG2665-1.jpg

I'm not sure of the history of this trans other than it is an AA code. I picked it up a few years ago at the wrecking yard. It looks real clean inside though it has had water in it so I am going to replace the clutches and the soft parts.

The plate is scored but I was going to run it over a of fine grit sand paper on a piece of glass to knock down the high spots.

IMAG2666-1.jpg

The clutches look pretty new and so does the band. Does the spring just break or is there something that forces the piston too far and crushes the spring into submission?

TIA

I know this is old but I have run into the same broken spring in the accumulator.
The clutches look pretty new and so does the band. Does the spring just break or is there something that forces the piston too far and crushes the spring into submission?
TIA
The broken accumulator spring is common. Nothing to worry about. Replace it.