Typical G body problems?

Is that true about the ttype and steelshim gasket? iF SO, I will be purchasing them for my car, I work at GM dealer and the steel shim gasket is only 15 dollar each, as opposed to 40 each for the victor composite.

I was just kiddin..... :rolleyes:

All intercooled engines were the same as far as I know.... with the exception of the GNX.... and TTA...

WAY TO EASY TO STEAL!

Any kid with a screwdriver can be in and gone in a matter of seconds.

A few strategic antitheft devices could be worth their weight in gold, depending how much you value your car ;)

Ah the PM....

I was being facetious guys. :D
I've done regular maintenance on them both over the years and don't expect them to fail.
I consider accumulator replacement (when it's required, not after the warning light's been burning for months), as regular maint. as well as 1 fluid change over the last 20 years in each.
and have only done 3 on my 86, 2 on my 87, and one pressure switch on the 87

Almost all the PM failures I've seen over the years have been a direct result of poor maintenance or abuse, or just plain ingnorance(not stupidity).

I remember my first incident with the PM. It was back in '88. My '86 TR only had about 32k on it. I was exiting off the highway and went to use the brakes and, much to my chagrin, pedal hit the floor and smoke came from under the hood. I thought "Well, this sucks!". Luckily no one in front and was able to come to a stop via the e-brake. My dad worked for GM at the Tech center, CPC div.. Mentioned it to a friend or two and one of them from the BOC side wanted to see it. He gave my dad a new unit and we gave him the old one. Not long after, if I remember right, the pressure switch recall came out.
Short story long, I just don't care for them.

Is there a common brake conversion? or do most of you maintain your powermasters and hope for the best?

I, and many others, swapped over to vacuum brakes. Parts can be found at any junk-yard (pedal) and parts house (booster and master cyl.). Plenty of threads on it.

Almost all the PM failures I've seen over the years have been a direct result of poor maintenance or abuse, or just plain ingnorance(not stupidity).

Well call me ignorant and abusive.:rolleyes:

I would have said if you're still on the original PM than you haven't been driving your car hard enough.

The first time I ran my GN in an open track event I broke the PM. This was back around 1990. The excessive heat of the fluid was the cause of failure as two of the big O-rings were chewed up pretty well. At that time Delco didn't have a rebuild kit. I still remember that call I made to Delco engineering when they told me that they just released the kit to GM warehousing. It took me two weeks to get it. What a waste of time and money. I screwed it up again in a couple of months when I went to another open track event. I think I was the first person to convert over to vacuum brakes after those two episodes.