Type II ignition a' la Hotair

got it all together seems to run good but my check engine lights on, code 42, figure I got a wire not making connection? but where?
by the way I took both the modules I got from the yard and had them tested, they both are bad :(, but least the coils worked.

Wow, both modules are bad? I basically took the best looking module and coils from the 3 I bought and it's been working like a champ. Just seems odd that both of the ones you picked up were bad.

Did you hot wire your ignition module? Mine's hot wired. I don't know if that makes a difference or not, but it seems like these modules draw a bit more juice.

Wow, both modules are bad? I basically took the best looking module and coils from the 3 I bought and it's been working like a champ. Just seems odd that both of the ones you picked up were bad.

Did you hot wire your ignition module? Mine's hot wired. I don't know if that makes a difference or not, but it seems like these modules draw a bit more juice.

yea both cars had over 200000 miles on them, probably why they was there, they'd rather sell them than fix em. ill double check the wiring tomarrow and run a hot wire too. see what that does.

update

well got the relay on and all wired up, need a terminal end for the hot wire, got a weather proof fuse (located at the alt bolt) for the hot wire. carquest had to pick some up from another store. so guess ill continue tomarrow.

Attachments

• new coil pack.jpg
    new coil pack.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 162
well got the relay on and all wired up, need a terminal end for the hot wire, got a weather proof fuse (located at the alt bolt) for the hot wire. carquest had to pick some up from another store. so guess ill continue tomarrow.

Cool, I didn't do the hot wire just for the Type II, but did it back when I switched over to the 86/87 ignition module. When switching over to the 86/87 module you're suppose to replace the positive iginition wire going to the fuse box. I decided it was way better just to hot wire it than to mess with the fuse box.

its done

found a broke wire on pin B, so I used a pin with the wire off one the modules I got from the yard, so I thought Id check the connection, "pin B goes to D5 on the ECM", well mine dont, its goes to D12, D5 is a black wire. but anyways its running, thanks to everybody for there help, especially Eric. :smile:

Your engine really looks nice. What did you do to dress it up? Can you send picture of entire engine area? I am impressed.