Type II ignition a' la Hotair

esinger

Stroker Hot Air
Look what I did this past weekend. My buddy Pat (Slogn) and I went to a pull-a-part place and got some Type II ignition modules and coils.

Hardest part was cleaning them up.

Attachments

• TypeII.jpg
    TypeII.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 465
Look's GREAT Eric. What car did you get them off? Did you have to drill any holes to mount?

Pat (SloGN) can give you more specifics on the cars. But basically we looked for cars with where the ignition module was mounted vertically on the front passenger side of the engine.
The orientation is vertical with the coils showing like this

(top)
+----+
| 1 4 |
+----+
| 5 2 |
+----+
| 3 6 |
+----+
[connector]
(Bottom)

There were other V6 cars with modules, but Pat told me they are fast start modules that will not work. The key is to find the ones where that have the cylinder arrangement like my above diagram. We found 4 of them at the junkyard, two for me and two for him. We nab them for $15 a piece.

As far as mounting it in my car, I already had the Casper 84/85 to 86/87 ignition mounting adapter. It pretty much fit right into that adapter without much trouble. The only issue is the 3 bolts in the bottom are longer than the 86/87 module, so it sits up on those bolts were as the old ignition module sat flush with the adapter

I think my module is bad on my 84, so all I need is the wire adapter to the 87?, I have one but it must be one of the bad ones cause the module off my 86 want work. is there a way to rewire the plug without using an adapter?

I think my module is bad on my 84, so all I need is the wire adapter to the 87?, I have one but it must be one of the bad ones cause the module off my 86 want work. is there a way to rewire the plug without using an adapter?

I'd highly recommend you get this

CEI - Casper's Electronics, Inc.

That's what I'm using, it provides the wire switchovers plus a hotwire for the ignition. You'll also need an adapter taht converts the mount from 84/85 to 86/87. I bought mine from Casper Electronics, but I don't see it on their website anymore. You might be able to call them about it.

You can wire it yourself using this guide as well.

Ignition Module Swap

well the $100 module was the ECM, the ICM was 175, so im going with your setup found a ac delco module for $55 on ebay. now I need the 3 coils. I found the adapter on Caspers website, carquest sells the pigtail so ill rewire it.

nut size?

what size nuts are the ones that hold the module to the bracket? also found some modules but the coils where not in the same place, these want work?

what size nuts are the ones that hold the module to the bracket? also found some modules but the coils where not in the same place, these want work?

I just checked on a spare I have and they are 11mm nuts. If the coils aren't in the same orientation then the module will not work (won't even plug in). Any modules with different coil orientations are quickstart type II modules and the plug end for the module is keyed differently.

another thing I noticed about the modules, the ones that will work have a green plate in the module where the pigtail plugs in, the ones that want work are red. (I now have both). I scored 2 of the correct ones today :smile:

now code 42

got it all together seems to run good but my check engine lights on, code 42, figure I got a wire not making connection? but where?
by the way I took both the modules I got from the yard and had them tested, they both are bad :(, but least the coils worked.