Two solenoids, THDP puck seals good, and HD actuator rod threaded all the way in but,

disco stu

Can't get more than 23 pounds out of it. What should I do? Got a grainger laying around but I like the in car adjustability when I need it. Anything I need to try before I go to a totally different setup? BTW, no exhaust leaks and the puck looks like it seals fine. And the actuator is about 2 1/2 yrs old.

maybe you are out of turbo? with ported heads, you may have it maxxed?

wire the wastegate shut and see what happens.....

I have the exact same problem. Have you cut any of the rod off? I am going to cut about an 1/8 of an inch of the rod to see what happens. I am going to the track on thursday so I'll try to post the results.
Ryan

That would be great. And FWIW, I checked for for air leaks, and if any clamps are loose, I haven't heard that loud pop that makes you go :eek:! But they are tight.

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the actuator. As long as you are certain there are no vacuum or exhaust leaks, then try wiring the wastgate shut. Just be prepared to lift off the throttle because it will overboost. If you get more boost than what you have been getting, then chances are you have a bad actuator. I ended up going with the HD actuator since I like running a lot of boost. Less strain on the HD unit over a standard unit if you like going over 22 lbs or more.

I am running a hd actuator. I have had problems with the solenoid too, mainly because I have turned a stock turbo into an "oil pump" on the car, twice.

Hopefully I can post some positive results on Thursday night.

Thanks,
Ryan

As for the boost control situation, I suggest you do what I and zam do. I run a grainger/bleeder combo, just set the underhood grainger for your low, then dial your incar bleeder for the high. In my case, I have the grainger underhood set to 23psi, then I adjust the boost accordingly with the in car bleeder. This way you get the quick spool of the grainger with the fine-tuneability of the bleeder.

There is a link floating around here somewhere...

-DC

Originally posted by disco stu
Can't get more than 23 pounds out of it. What should I do? Got a grainger laying around but I like the in car adjustability when I need it. Anything I need to try before I go to a totally different setup? BTW, no exhaust leaks and the puck looks like it seals fine. And the actuator is about 2 1/2 yrs old.

I have a HD actuator (although not realy heavy, 14.5#), and with the rod set to "just hold the gate shut", and running both solenoids, I can push the boost up to 26# (open ended downpipe).

Now, here's an observation I noticed when "fine tuning" the original dual solenoid system.

The "T" fitting you use and the vacuum hoses from it to the solenoids "IS KEY"!!!!!!!!!!! If all three legs of the "T" are the same size and the hoses to the solenoids is too small, you wont get any where near the 10+ #'s of adjustment that is available with two solenoids.

The "T" that I found that works best is labeled "3/16x1/4M"
It has one quarter inch leg (attached to the larger vacuum hose from the stock "Y"), and the two legs are the 3/16 size and the hoses attached to them is large enough to easilly fit these. These two hoses will be a little big for the solenoids, but if you zip tie them down good they'll be leak free.

HTH.

Here's a picture:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/24421944/46435444yVUgQY

Good info guys. And I did not know that about the tee. I'll give it a shot with that tee, if it doesn't work I'll try the grainger valve this weekend and post my results afterthis weekend. And if that doesn't work, I'll see if the new actuator on the CPT-65 that I'm about to order fixes things. Thanks to all.

Hey DiscoStu,

Went to the track last night. I hit 25 pounds of boost and I still had 2 full turns left on the wastegate.

I cut about an 1/8 of an inch off of my wg and now I can probably hit about 26-27psi. Take a hacksaw and cut your wg down to size, you'll be happy.

Last night my car ran ok. I went 13.45@ 109 (2.42 60ft):eek: . I was running on crappy 235 BFG drag radials, launching at 1 whopping pound of boost, and roasting the tires. This was at 22psi of boost in third gear (only 17-19 in 1st and 2nd) . Then I cranked the wastegate 4 full turns. I spun bad then about half track, I blew the up pipe off the throttle body :mad: at 25psi.

Hopefully everything turns out good for you
Ryan

Right on Ryan. Time to change your sig to:

"I need a convertor and tires really, really bad."
:D

Wont be able to try it or any other methods for awhile, my turbo has turned into an air oiler. :(