two footed driving

jlat

hello turboheads; Growing up it was told that driving using both feet is wrong and now I forget the reasoning but I do use both feet driving a car w/auto trans. I at one time never did but I do now and trying not to is weird to me. Maybe if your left foot is on the pedal it might be a problem and not realy realxing that leg could be another consideration but I thought about it when I recently had a 3 hr. commute home in that last snow storm here in New England. That was to go 30 miles home. It sucked.
IBBY

I also drive using both feet. I guess I got that habit from when I was younger and that we didn't have trans brakes to hold our cars at the starting line so we used both feet! That habit eventually got carried to my street driving… Now I'm 61 and still use both feet!

Claude :wacky:

If you drive a vehicle with a third pedal then two feet is a must. You will get good at toe on the brake and heel on the gas. Then drop the clutch. Two feet on an auto is a recipe for cooked brakes.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Politically correct or not, I've always used 1 foot.
I've tried 2 feet and it just doesn't feel comfortable.

Politically correct or not, I've always used 1 foot.
I've tried 2 feet and it just doesn't feel comfortable.

Ever since I stated driving I drove with two feet for an auto. I guess it's from watching my dad drive. My mother always hated it when I did and she would always complain. She always told me it's not the correct way to drive, so one day I asked a driving instructor at my high school and he told me though it's not normal to drive like that there's nothing saying you can't drive with two feet. My mother was quite angry when I told her who told me. I like to think you have a quicker reaction to a situation if your foot is on the brake or gas, you have a second or two where your right foot has to come off to stop where if you left foot is already above the brake your already a step ahead. I do heal toe in my standard car when I drive around corners or braking. It's just fun that way and helps.

2 here......first couple cars where sticks and I still drive everything with 2 feet.

Two at at the track or a burnout. One resting on the brake is nfg.

hello people; I've been two foot driving for too long I guess as it's hard to change and my left foot is not on the pedal but it's close enough to be used. The only time I almost had a problem was driving my Buick in the city going from light to light and I got messing with another car. We where going kinda fast but when the light changed from green to red I still had my foot in the gas as I was trying to stop with my left. That has not happened again.
IBBY

Ever since I stated driving I drove with two feet for an auto. I guess it's from watching my dad drive. My mother always hated it when I did and she would always complain. She always told me it's not the correct way to drive, so one day I asked a driving instructor at my high school and he told me though it's not normal to drive like that there's nothing saying you can't drive with two feet. My mother was quite angry when I told her who told me. I like to think you have a quicker reaction to a situation if your foot is on the brake or gas, you have a second or two where your right foot has to come off to stop where if you left foot is already above the brake your already a step ahead. I do heal toe in my standard car when I drive around corners or braking. It's just fun that way and helps.
If your reasoning involves reaction and time of moving your foot, I have to add you aren't looking ahead and planning for situations if you are on the gas in situations that may need to apply brakes.
Yes, I drive for a living in a vehicle that is many times larger than your (and mine for that matter) personal vehicle. If I'm not driving with an eye on every vehicle around me and planning for anything that drive may do, I will run one clean over. Mine doesn't stop or accelerate at anywhere near where yours does. Something to consider when you decide to pull in front and slam on the brakes. You might have the law in your side when that truck turns your back seat into a trunk/back seat but it could have been prevented. Sorry to get off topic but I "drive" others all day long.

Heel toe is heel brake toe go pedal. Used for rev matching when auto crossing or road course driving.

Two feet on an auto is a recipe for premature brake failure if you aren't careful.

Maybe my clodhoppers are the wrong size as I always found it easier to launch a 5 liter mustang as I described. But that was drag racing. My heel fit right nice on the go pedal.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

I drive with one...only time I have two feet on is when i'm launching the car or doing a burnout. My ol' man told me not to use two feet because you will ride your brakes and not realize you're doing it.

If your reasoning involves reaction and time of moving your foot, I have to add you aren't looking ahead and planning for situations if you are on the gas in situations that may need to apply brakes.
Yes, I drive for a living in a vehicle that is many times larger than your (and mine for that matter) personal vehicle. If I'm not driving with an eye on every vehicle around me and planning for anything that drive may do, I will run one clean over. Mine doesn't stop or accelerate at anywhere near where yours does. Something to consider when you decide to pull in front and slam on the brakes. You might have the law in your side when that truck turns your back seat into a trunk/back seat but it could have been prevented. Sorry to get off topic but I "drive" others all day long.

Though I don't have an occupation where I drive for living, I have had a few jobs were I have drove a company car making me away of situations ahead. I have also seen and been In a couple scenarios where though one my fault and others not has taught me to always pay attention to the road ahead and on either side. You can't trust what the next person ahead behind or next to you is going to do. I'm always scanning a few car lengths ahead and checking my Mirrors frequently. I'm not going to say I'm the best drive by no means do I think I am, I try to keep myself and people around me safe. Cars are replaceable not people. I should edit by saying I like to think by keeping one foot above the brake or gas, if a situation does arise you can be prepared in time to take action either way, gassing or braking. But back to subject I drive with two feet for an auto and same for a standard cause you have too

Maybe my clodhoppers are the wrong size as I always found it easier to launch a 5 liter mustang as I described. But that was drag racing. My heel fit right nice on the go pedal.

I knew you were a mudstainer...:) much like Buick I wonder why they bothered putting brake pedals in.

I had three Buicks before an 89 LX notch, still have two of the Buicks. Mustang is long gone.
It was a wild ride.

I drive with two feet. It started when I sprained my right ankle and never could go back to one foot. My father drives with two feet also. I do drive with one foot when I feel relaxed on a nice drive. Grew up in the city always waiting for that kid that would run out between two cars or opening up of doors. One foot driving comes when I have driven vans that have a high brake pedal

I had to do that for a while few years ago. One on the gas and one on the break damn Buick would not idle at a stop light:D

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

You'll fail your license test in Ontario if you drive with two feet. One on gas other on brake.

I have always driven with both feet from day one,it just feels weird to try and leave my left foot idle while using both hands and right foot while driving.

It really took a lot of concentration and restraint from using both feet when i took my drivers test here in Ohio decades ago.