twin turbo possibility?

boosted1

hello everyone, im new to this board but have been on the other big one for years here is a question for you engineers out there or people with some skills and guts to try osmething new...

i have a 84 with 87 motor in it, its all torn apart because im building the car all over again, to make it my way...

this past weekend i had a friend with a shelby turbo 2.2 liter(i think) come to my home with a blown turbo. so my imagination kicked it and since the 80's chrysler used the same exhaust wheel as our 84 and 85 trs but a smaller housing .48 i believe i had the idea of just taking it apart and having it rebuilt but to my new specs here they are...

all exhaust stuff is the same, but the new backing plat of the compressor side is off a 87 turbo as is the compressor wheel and housing.

holy crap!!!
this thing spooled up like a mad man and the power at the same level was more than noticeable!!

so i ask myself this question, use 2 chrysler turbos with those exhaust housings and the 87 compressor side!
even they are small housings for the exhaust they will do 2 things
spool up like crazy, since its a 3.8 and they are off a 2.2 or a 2.0 liter i think its perfect match
and the compressors are factory 87 and have more than enough pumping power to give us a easy 550 hp not even pushing the turbos that hard.

im about to attempt this but before i build the turbos i would like the people that have some engineering background to talk to me a little

i called turbonetics today and they said it would work very well
supercharger like boost, can stay with the factory convertor because of the exhaust housings and the mid and top power will be insane.

just luck may have it my friend had about 60 hp gain!! from that 87 compressor swap i did for him at only 2 more psi and some more fuel since he had it on a dyno for the hell of it last month we made 246 hp after the swap!!

talk to me people i need your help
i have 3 weeks vacation coming up and this would be a great way to spend my time lol

ALSO!!
working from memory do our heads have 3 holes in them for me to hook up custom mounting plates for the turbos like a supercharger is hooked up? im not worried about the accessories since it will all be custom now lol

thanks for your help
either i have a few broken bolts in my head on pass side or there are none thats why im asking

thanks
slawek
boosted1@yahoo.com

Sounds like a great idea for the chysler guys using Buicks comp wheel, but for us it would need new headers and downpipes ect. Its pretty pricey to go twin on a GN.

Sounds like you have a 4 bolt 7cm2 housing, stock GN headers use a 3 bolt turbo housing.

i know that i will have to make some headers but thats not the problem, i have all the time i need to do this during my vacation
downpipes and all that ic pluming im gonna have to custom make myself

the question that i have is will those turbos work well in that situation?
i know the compressor outflows the chrysler ex housing and that will be the limiting factor in this install but since im using two of them there should be no restrictions

i was told that each ex housing is good for about 275- 300 hp on the chryslers so that gives me plenty on tap if i have 2 of them:)

help me out...
thank you all in advance
slawek
boosted1@yahoo.com

dr booster

he i saw in your sig that you have some crazy wheel flares and tires sizes on your gn and its lowered
can you talk to me about what you did to make those 3 things happen?
do you have any pics?
slawek

Check out what PTE is doing with the .48 or 7cm2 housings
http://www.precisionte.com/sportcompact.php

The .48 will make a lot of power as long as the comp wheel and housing are around .60. I have a PTE 57 trim comp wheel in the .60 compressor housing with the 69 exh wheel in the .48. This momma is rated around 550, so its all about what you put in both housings.

I would go with a stock GN comp wheel 48mm (?) and the 76 exh wheel. That exh wheel is as big as you can go in the .48. From there you have plenty of power, and the spool will not be and issue as the PTE import turbo I have is on my 2.0, 122 ci 4 cylinder. Pretty much half the size of the GN block.

I am expecting my GN back, I will post pics on the suspension page probably December. I had the body shop weld in new metal flares so that the 325/50/15 would fit like a glove with no frame choppin.

thank you for talking to me about this, seems youre the only one interested in it

the ex wheels youre talking about, where can i find them, i mean do they come in different cars? this way i can save some money
at the same time.
i wonder how much it will cost me to have the housings bored out to fit those wheels

im very interested in your wheel flares
i had my car painted about 2 years ago
but will do it in a hearbeat again if i can do that to my car
can you tell me about cost of those flares to be made?

can any shop duplicate it you think
thank you once again for talking to me about this
i do think that the spool up will be insane lol
**** if its anything like my friends little chrysler then its gonna be a missle

slawek
boosted1@yahoo.com

I believe the 76 exh wh is the same one in the 87's?

You do not have to port the .48 to fit the 76, its an option on the PTE site for that ex housing.

I have a body shop in Wis that did it for me. Its not cheap as each flare is like 8 hours of work, at $45 an hour. They are real metal flares though, so to say any shop could do this would be hard to say. I know this, the guy that did my flares had done other custom flares on older hot rods, which is why I knew he could do my GNs.

When I get car back, I will have a link for the photos with the 325 tires under it. Then, if it looks really good, I am sure you will want to ship your car to this guy in Wis. Not many painters probably want to try this for the first time.

thank you very much for your imput,

the factory ex wheel from the 84/85 trs fits right into the ex housing because its the same as the chrysler wheel but the factory 86/87 doesnt so i do think you have to have it machined i tried it and will not fit,?

as far as the flares go i wonder if i can buy a set of fenders and quarters at a yard and ship them to him let him do the same as he did on yours and then ship them back to me. that would be the best and cheapest way i think, if you talk to him can you ask him about that possibility?

how much are you spitting out for that mod if i can ask, just the labor?

thank you
take care
boosted1@yahoo.com

Your fender idea is pretty good, I am sure it would be easier that way. But return shipping would have to be very very secure.

I would not see why they would not do that job. I would guess this would cost you around $1200 to do. This is getting it back all ready to paint and bolt on.

Lets just say the painter and I are very close so my price was not the shops actual labor costs. There would of been no way of me affording this as I needed to redo every bit of the car and put on a fiberglass hood and trunk.

Wierd on the TR exh wheel not fitting as the 76 on PTE's site is what I see as the TR exh wheel. Maybe the PTE ex housing is similar to how their TR exh housings are slightly larger than Garretts housings in the same A/R.

Would you consider getting a different turbo to bolt on?

You can get used small 16g turbos from DSM's www.dsmtrader.org for pretty cheap. They flow 450cfm each at 20 psi and enough to get you into the 11's no prob. Or even cheaper are the 14b turbos that come stock on the manual dsm's. They go around $100 in pretty good shape. You can still hit the 11's with two but need more boost of course.