Twin Turbo LS build in the Planning stages. Turbo sizing qustions.

The car - 1968 Chevelle.
Engine - LS type engine out of a truck 5.3 or 6.0 ?? waiting on what is available and for what price.
Trans - 4L80E
ECM - Stock "HP Tuners" tuned
Fuel system - Double in-tank Reds XP pumps, -8 from hanger to fuel rail and -6 return line. Already on the car.

I am going to do this build in two stages. Stage one - ALL STOCK STUFF and looking for 500 at the rear wheels and Stage two - Not getting into that now.

Turbo sizing?? i already have a very low mile 60-1 " TE-60 W/65mm Exhaust wheel" Would TWO of these turbos be enough for the 500 at the wheels that i am looking for?
And how far can they take me once i am ready to push past 500 RWHP?

Last edited:
Made over 900hp on a 383ci chevy with two 60-1's not even trying. Boost in the low 20's. There good for over 1000hp no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Made over 900hp on a 383ci chevy with two 60-1's not even trying. Boost in the low 20's. There good for over 1000hp no doubt.

Cool, shoot me a price on one.
Btw how would/should it spool?

Last edited:

I've got two 10 year old Turbonetic BB 60's on my motor. I believe it's making about +/- 800 HP on about 22 pounds of boost and pump gas. This is of course is a V6. They spool like lightning. I think with more tuning at the same boost level I could get even more HP out of them. If I turned up the boost....... Forgetaboutit!

Number of cylinders shouldn't matter much. It's an "air flow" thing. I'm not sure how the newer turbos compare to the two fossils I have on my motor. Either way......500 HP? No problem.

Bison?

I've got two 10 year old Turbonetic BB 60's on my motor. I believe it's making about +/- 800 HP on about 22 pounds of boost and pump gas. This is of course is a V6. They spool like lightning. I think with more tuning at the same boost level I could get even more HP out of them. If I turned up the boost....... Forgetaboutit!

Number of cylinders shouldn't matter much. It's an "air flow" thing. I'm not sure how the newer turbos compare to the two fossils I have on my motor. Either way......500 HP? No problem.

Bison?
if it goes as planned i will be using two journal bearing turbos no new big $$$$$ over here.

Wow Dave, now that's a different direction.. Cant wait to see it at Captree when complete..

No point in having two different cars with the same drive line.

Why not. If I had it my way, I would have a Buick drive line in every car I ever owned. Every time one of my crappy daily drivers has a problem I have to learn all this mechanic fix-it bullshit all over again. I friggin hate working on anything else.:mad:

I had an 84 Monte with the LC2
now the Chevelle
And finally an 86 GN
My brother has an 87 GN. So I am not walking away from Buicks.
I just want to have a different head ache to deal with.
Plus i figure i might as well be the first guy to blow up the indestructible LS motor lol

and you are correct on having to learn new stuff - I have been reading just about anything with the letters LS on it for months now.

I had an 84 Monte with the LC2
now the Chevelle
And finally an 86 GN
My brother has an 87 GN. So I am not walking away from Buicks.
I just want to have a different head ache to deal with.
Plus i figure i might as well be the first guy to blow up the indestructible LS motor lol

and you are correct on having to learn new stuff - I have been reading just about anything with the letters LS on it for months now.

Too late! You won't be the first guy to blow up the "indestructable" LS motor. I know someone who has been through 3 of them in one season. All "good" motors that are just as sensitive to mistakes as any. You let me borrow it for a day. I bet it wouldn't last as long as my disposable daily driver.

Damn I thought that I was the only one without a clue lol.

All seriousness I get bored very quickly maybe a severe case of ADD, I definitely Need a different build. Plus when I blow this one up it's only a few hundred to replace. And every scrap yard in the country has a bunch in stock.

That's the Biggest advantage of the LS its availability ..

There are so many out there that you can be as picky as you want to be.
Before someone else says it -- Yes i couldn't get it done with the V6 i have to go the V8 lol

what is slightly more difficult to get is the 4L80E, i talked to a few parts guys and it seems that there some big builders hording them up.

Been doing some research and i am not liking this HP Tuners stuff. buy this and then buy more WTF?

After market ECM is looking better and better long term wise.

Last edited:
Been doing some research and i am not liking this HP Tuners stuff. buy this and then buy more WTF?

After market ECM is looking better and better long term wise.

HP tuners could be blamed for the scrapped 3 motors my buddy went through last season. XFI is what he knows and he should have started with that. Even though LS motors might be cheap, going through 3 of them and the added aggravation of pulling them out and putting them in has added up to more money than an XFI would have costed.

BTW, I don't belive the availability and cost of using an LS motor even remotely justifies it's use before a V6 Buick.

If this was the case, 27 years ago we would have all put 5.0 and small block 350's in our cars. In my opinion, most hot-rods are mechanically boring and insignificant. The Turbo Regal Buicks are not. So, if you want to use another boring motor in some other insignificant body style then that should be fine. I'd like to leave the Regals as they are........the interesting black sheep that show the rest of the Hot-Rod world that we did it first, and now after 27 years, they are finally catching up.

No response is required from any LS fanatic. I've had the same unchanged opinion all through the years. I have watched other so called "innovative break-through" motors come and go. My opinion won't change till they stop selling fossil fuels and make us all drive electric weed-whackers.

Which way to go Aftermarket ECM or OE ECM tuned?

I am not liking to buy a software/hardware combo to then have to buy/pay every time i want to use it.

Is there any one time purchase tuning soft software that is worth buying? or should i just look into an aftermarket ECM like a Fast XFI?

Which way to go Aftermarket ECM or OE ECM tuned?

I am not liking to buy a software/hardware combo to then have to buy/pay every time i want to use it.

Is there any one time purchase tuning soft software that is worth buying? or should i just look into an aftermarket ECM like a Fast XFI?

If you are building a standard "Hot-Rod" for cruising like so many car show guys do, you know the type, like modernizing some standard typical 60-something Chevy with parts ordered from Jeg's, then HP tuners is fine.

If you are building a drag/performance vehicle that will undergo many stages of modifications, that will be re-tuned every time for maximum output, and tweaked over and over as you plan 2-step launches, alky injection, turning up the boost further and further, trying different timing and AF strategies for spool-up, and so on..........................XFI is the way to go.

If you are building a standard "Hot-Rod" for cruising like so many car show guys do, you know the type, like modernizing some standard typical 60-something Chevy with parts ordered from Jeg's, then HP tuners is fine.

If you are building a drag/performance vehicle that will undergo many stages of modifications, that will be re-tuned every time for maximum output, and tweaked over and over as you plan 2-step launches, alky injection, turning up the boost further and further, trying different timing and AF strategies for spool-up, and so on..........................XFI is the way to go.
Definitely agree with this..........