Twin turbo BBC Ram Air TA Outlaw 10.5

Steve

This is a friend's(really a friend of a friend) Outlaw 10.5. It has ran a best of 4.69 in the 1/8 so far with more in it. When I first heard it was going to be black I wan't too sure, but I think it came out beautiful. The car was built by TYDO Racecars in Jefferson City MO. The same shop is building a twin turbo LSX 95 Supra that should be done before long to run in True 10.5/Limited Street. It is a very very impressive build and I will try to get some pics of it soon.

Attachments

• kimmis4.jpg
    kimmis4.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 3,038
  • kimmis1.jpg
    kimmis1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 3,394
  • kimmis2.jpg
    kimmis2.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 2,859
  • kimmis3.jpg
    kimmis3.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 4,198
  • kimmis5.jpg
    kimmis5.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 3,108
Nice car!!!

This may seem like a dumb question............................I have been seeing this alot lately and can not quite seem to understand why.................................................Why are people mounting the WG on the IC piping for the boost control and not on the manifold?????

Thanks,
dee

Nice car!!!

This may seem like a dumb question............................I have been seeing this alot lately and can not quite seem to understand why.................................................Why are people mounting the WG on the IC piping for the boost control and not on the manifold?????

Thanks,
dee

I first thought that was a blow off valve, but after looking, you're right, I don't see a wastegate anywhere else.

If you look closely and follow the boost/vaccuum lines from the compressor housings they go to the wastegates mounted on the headers just before the turbos. I'm thinking that must be a BOV on the intake piping.

K.

If you look closely and follow the boost/vaccuum lines from the compressor housings they go to the wastegates mounted on the headers just before the turbos. I'm thinking that must be a BOV on the intake piping.

K.

ok.................lmao............man I feel like a dumby now. I probably was tired when I was looking at it. Thanks. Thats a really mean looking bov then. who the hell makes that thing??

dee

At 1 time the idea was to use a blo off, to keep the boost down at launch, so the tires weren't blown off. It allowed the turbos to spool, yet not affect the w/g operation.
My bud's Tang used it, as the rules at the time didn't allow for electronic boost controllers.. His b/o kept boost low, and then at launch, was controlled to close at a particular rate, depending on how fast he wanted to apply power.

I'd love to see some more info on that Black car. I'm assuming it is setup to run on Methanol, since there is no intercooler.

It is also one of the most beautiful cars I've ever seen :eek:

Matt,

It is definitely on Methanol, check out this pic~

There are a bunch more pics of this car on their website..

Mike Kimmis 10.5 Outlaw Trans Am

You are correct sir it is a methanol car. The Tydo cars clean up at the heads up races in our area. Mark(TYDO) is a nice guy and a lot of fun to be around. Mark did the roll bar in my WE4 and did a great job and finished it in one day painted and all! Mark has a True 10.5 Chevy II wagon that is pretty famous for dragging the bumper. The car has new paint this year but last year it was black primer with a big smiley face on top that you could see when it drug the bumper!:D

You are correct sir it is a methanol car. The Tydo cars clean up at the heads up races in our area. Mark(TYDO) is a nice guy and a lot of fun to be around. Mark did the roll bar in my WE4 and did a great job and finished it in one day painted and all! Mark has a True 10.5 Chevy II wagon that is pretty famous for dragging the bumper. The car has new paint this year but last year it was black primer with a big smiley face on top that you could see when it drug the bumper!:D

Yeah I was checking out the pics of the Chevy II Wagon on their site and that is definitely a badass ride as well!

Did you notice that it was SBF powered? That's kind of a switch from what you normally see! The motor was in the burgandy True 10.5 Mustang notch and when Mark decided to get the wagon back out he said he didn't want to have to work thru another motor combo so he just swapped the proven motor out of the Mustang into the wagon.

The Cuda on the site is a proven Drag Radial winner around here and I like it because you just don't see alot of Mopar shootout type cars so its really different than the "normal" cars that compete. I have seen it drag the bumper when every other DR car is blowing the tires off.

The True 10.5 LSX powered Supra coming from Tydo Racecars is going to be pretty wild and will be a one of a kind! It should be out in the next few months.

Yep I seen that, kinda figured it came out of another car or he purchased it from a customer. Probably pisses of the diehard Chevy guys, but hey whatever gets the job done!:biggrin:

You're right you certainly don't see many Mopar's in the Outlaw type HU racing especially in a class like DR where 90% of them are either Mustangs or F-bodies. The Supra sounds pretty sick, seems like lately there are a pretty good # of Turbo LSX combinations showing up in different cars. Look forward to seeing some pics and/or vids of the Supra when it is finished.

alot of shops use a wastegate as a bov nowdays.i see alot of the 60mm wastegates used like that.its makes a clen look i think with everything matching. i dont know if the wastegate acts quicker than the bov and this is the reason they do this or not. heck why does he have a bov they arent needed:)i couldnt resist

alot of shops use a wastegate as a bov nowdays.i see alot of the 60mm wastegates used like that.its makes a clen look i think with everything matching. i dont know if the wastegate acts quicker than the bov and this is the reason they do this or not. heck why does he have a bov they arent needed:)i couldnt resist

Well that makes me feel alot better man:D

Nice car!!!

Thanks,
dee

Also guys use the WG to make the turbo spool , they open the WG to build boost and then when they launch they slam it shut .. Most of the ones ive seen have it hooked to the trans brake switch so when they let the trans brake go it shuts the Wg