TV Repair!

BLACK6PACK

1 sec reaction King
Anybody know anything about television repair. I have a 36" tube RCA tv that has been great. About a week ago it started making this high pitch whine and would continue to do it when the tv was turned off, but not as loud. Last night I'm getting set up to watch 24 and it made a pop sound and the picture went a little dark, but came back to normal. It popped again and shut the tv off. I turned it back on and all was fine for about 30 seconds and it popped and shut off again. I took the back cover off, and hit the power button, and I can see it arching in two places from a couple of doo-dads on the computer board attached to the tube. This was a $1200 TV and its only 4 years old. The tube is still good, it just looks like it has a short in it somewhere.

Taking a TV to the repairman is like taking your wife to the chiropractor. Once you start you never stop.

If you take it in set a strict limit on what you want to pay to have it fixed. IMO anything over $150 you might as well get a new TV.

Most likely that TV that was $1200 4 yrs ago, can now be had with the same features for $700 and with a new warranty

That's gotta suck. Took a 27" to a repair guy before, came back with a terrible picture quality. Won't do that again, but he may just be bad at it. If your tube goes, it'll cost almost what you would pay for a new tv. I think you may end up just buying a new TV, but don't get an RCA. They're the ones that populate the repair shops. Get a Mitsubishi, Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba and it ought to last.

I had a TV do something SIMILAR a few years ago. I was told it had something to do with the humidity....

The snapping and popping is likely related to the High voltage portion of the electronics. If you get shocked, it will curl your toes ;) so stay away from it. The malfunction sounds like something inthe high voltage circuit.

After a week or two, my TV went back to normal....Hope yours does too.

Funny you should mention this....

My 1996 31" RCA blew up right before christmas. Just like yours...Loud pop..lost picture colors...then would die.

And I was thinking oh geeze now I get to go spend $800 on one of those kool new TV's. Then I got my property tax bill.

I callled a TV repairman who came to the house to fix it. For less than $200 he replaced a defective (recalled) chip. It works great now and I put off another TV for a while.

Find a Authorized RCA repairman...one that makes house calls is even better. Not having to Lug a 120-150 lb TV around is a great thing.

UNGN,
you ain't a kidding! That thing is massive! I only weigh around 150 and that has to be heavier than me. I don't have a truck and putting it in a car is out of the question.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Same thing happened to my fathers' Zeinith after only 3 yrs. That's why I only buy Sony tubes. I've had my for over 7 yrs. no probs. My buddy has had his Sony for 15yrs...never in the shop once!

I have 2 old zeniths that are over 15 years old and have a perfect picture. I have a newer zeinith 7 years old and the picture is already bad.

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
I have 2 old zeniths that are over 15 years old and have a perfect picture. I have a newer zeinith 7 years old and the picture is already bad.

This just goes to show , as time goes on everything gets made cheeper and faster with poor quality..:( I read in magizine the other day , that more than 60% of bigger bussiness have moved most of there plants to MEXICO and other poor countrys..

Matt:cool:

Originally posted by lburou
I had a TV do something SIMILAR a few years ago. I was told it had something to do with the humidity....

The snapping and popping is likely related to the High voltage portion of the electronics. If you get shocked, it will curl your toes ;) so stay away from it. The malfunction sounds like something inthe high voltage circuit.

After a week or two, my TV went back to normal....Hope yours does too.

If you arent careful, and touch the high voltage side you will get zapped DEAD to the tune of 24000 volts in some cases. Be CAREFUL in there.