Turn signal, etc. Electrical issues

turbo39151

anycoloraslongasitsblack
Here's the issue. Sent car to paint. Everything worked fine. Got car back and started putting together.

There are some issues with the lights...

1. If I turn the parking lights or headlights ON, the left/right indicators illuminate on the dash. The side marker will not illuminate.

2. If I attempt to utilize the turn signal, the left/right indicators stay illuminated and the oil/choke, volts, and SES lights come on. Nothing blinks.

3. The side markers near the headlights will not illuminate.

4. On the driver's side, at the taillights, all of the lights illuminate when I turn the lights on. If I depress the brake, the inner most large light on the driver's side taillight will not illuminate.

5. If I remove the flasher under the dash by the steering colum the oil/choke, volt and SES DO NOT illuminate. But, the left/right indicators stay illuminated- they do not blink.

6. I have checked all of the bulbs.

7. I have checked for bad grounds but it all looks good.

8. I swapped in a new flasher module and see if that would help. The left/right indicators stay illuminated on the dash. Nothing flashes. Only difference is that when I attempt to utilize the left or right turn, the oil/choke, volt, and SES DO NOT illuminate. But the left/right indicators on the dash stay illuminated on the dash.

What am I missing?

Everything worked when I dropped the car off...:mad:

Disconnect the ground wires on both sides cleanthe areas well so it makes a good connection. Try it you will be surprised. I had a same problem and could not believe thats all I needed to do.
Hope you resolve this.
Keep us posted

bulbs not making good contact in the sockets,and not turned in right or wrong bulb........tripple check them.....as posted,check recheck the grounds....dont rely on looks,bust out the test light.....

I checked all the bulbs, made sure all the connections were tight. Tested all the fuses as well.

Took a multimeter to the socket for the side marker bulb. If I plug both ends of the multimeter into the socket, I get nothing (I assume that it is a loop and should be grounded at one end and thus give me a reading).

If I keep my positive end plugged into the socket and touch the negative to the grounding bolt on the fender, I get 10-12 v.

I am guessing that I have a ground issue in the line?

I will try and remove the grounds and clean them. Should I tap in a new ground? I didn't really want to get into the harness to re-wire everything but I will if I have to.

Am I on the right track?

I had such a issue and had to replace a socket and there was one wire - a ground - that was not good and caused some strange light issues

looks like you have + but no - at the sockets.....theres a ground at each fender/side of rad support......

looks like you have + but no - at the sockets.....theres a ground at each fender/side of rad support......

Exactly! But when I tap my Negative multimeter probe to either of the grounds on the fender I get the proper voltage. When I get home I'm going to remove, clean and reseat both grounds and see if it helps. I think I have some corrosion in one of the grounds. The reason I believe this is that when I pulled the headlight bezels to access the side marker for the passenger side, I notice that the wiring had been previously cut and re-crimped poorly and that some of the wire was exposed and discolored (corroded)- I cut it back a bit and added new crimps and electrical tape. (Just wanted a quick fix.) I guess I'll cut out a large chnk and see about soldering the line and wrapping with heat shrink.

If I cut a good sized section out and replace it with new wire, I think it should help. Just want to make sure I've covered all the easy stuff first.

Actually, I did not. I got sidetracked with some engine projects. I'm contemplating going back out today but my hands are sore from 2 days of wrenching...:D

i have the exact same problems...ive re-grounded everything!!!! i hope you figure out something, ive been fighting it since ive owned the car.

TTT I too am having the same issue with my 87 GN. A local fellow Buick tech told me it is possible the turn signal switch could cause this problem. I have not yet tried to replace the switch yet.

Jimmy

please contine to post my spedo light goes out high beam indicator comes on (lo-beam on) flip highs on indicator goes off. left turn indicator on. when spedo light comes on intermititanty hi beam indicator goes off. right turn sig doesnt work:confused: