TurboSlacker what's the status

I was just about to post the results of my timing chain replacement ordeal.

Got the GN running again last night. Pulled it out of the garage this morning and warmed it up. Drove it just a little to verify that driving a GN on ice really isn't a good idea.

Only glitch I had so far, knock on wood, was the new water pump started leaking. After a few hours of post-depression, I ripped the pump off and realized that the lower-left bolt flange was cracked. I pulled on it and a chunk fell off into my hand. I decided to open the service manual to see what the bolt torque should be. It said 7 ft-lbs. Holy cow! I probably put 10 times that into those bolts :p Oh well, pleading innocence (ignorance is a more accurate) at the auto store got me a replacement unit. Slapped it on and walla...no more coolant leaks.

I'm really glad I took on the challenge of changing the timing chain and water pump myself. It was a little unnerving at times because I really didn't want to screw anything up. So I took my sweet time on and off again for a whole week. I swear I must have the record for the longest time to change a timing chain. But I learned a lot of firsts about my engine: dropping the oil pan and checked the internals and resealed with a new cork ROL gasket, cleaned-up and resealed my oil pressure senders to eliminate oil leaks, better understanding of the front cover oil gears, timing gear and dampener install, water pump install, and setting the timing and cam sensor.

Amazingly, for a 43K mile car, the stock timing gear was in perfect condition. Not a single cracked or missing tooth. Nonetheless, good insurance to change it out for the steel one. At least now I know what shape my front internals are in.

While I had parts off, I replaced the bearings in the alternator and belt tensioner hoping to quiet the engine. Still too noisy. The CAM sensor is too loose and making a lot of racket. I think the original stock belt is shot and slipping a bit and squeeling.

Huge thanks to Ken Bodhaine for his fab work on my front cover as well as answer numerous questions I had. Couldn't have done it with his expert advice and encouragement. Thanks to Frank for use of his electric impact wrench to get that monster bolt off the crank shaft. My 125 psi air tools couldn't handle it.

A big undertaking for a novice mechanic, but really rewarding and I gained a greater understanding and appreciation about my car...which is what I enjoy the most!

I swear I must have the record for the longest time to change a timing chain. --> Sorry, Dan I think I might have you topped on that ;)

This past weekend when I was getting the garage more organized, I put the misc (I have no clue from they came from) bolts off the Buick in ziplock bags. I'll have to get ahold of you to
see if you can help me identify them while everythings still fresh
in the brain :confused: :confused:

Mike

Mike,

I knew you held the duration record for changing a cam. I guess you trump my record for the timing chain as well :p

I could probably help out with the "name this fastener" game. I certainly know a few others who could name every one of 'em.