Turbos going bad on my Turbo T

Hey fellas,

I have 87 T with a little under 200k miles ( rebuild at 187k). About a year a half ago, the stock turbo went out and i bought a brand new ta-49 from full throttle. With the new ta-49 i've only driven the car maybe 7 times max within a year and then suddenly one day this turbo fails on me too.

Sent it off to precision and they said the turbo was in bad shape and pretty much needed a full rebuild. The cause was debris and lack of lubrication.

When I first bought the 49, i also bought ss braided line from gbodyparts. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG HERE OR MISSING?

MODS: lt1 maf w/translator.....otherwise stock w/ta49.

You may want to consider adding a turbo saver / remote turbo oil system to help with this problem.

I've been using one for about 12 years and have never had a damaged turbo from debris or lack of lubrication or contamination of any kind.

This is the one i have.

FULL THROTTLE SPEED - Item Description Page

John :smile:

what kind of oil are you using? turbos tend to barbecue cheap oil.. and turbo saver sounds like a good idea also you might wanna try amsoil ive heard of a few accounts of it actually cleaning out contaminated and sludged motors...

You sure that line you put on didn't in some way get kinked or bent shut some how i just put a 49 on 3 months ago after mine went south haven't had any issues yet and have had it out more than 7 times

I was looking into the turbo savor...looks like its on the purchase list.

I was running red line oil in it...so in no way cheap oil.

As far as the line goes...the braided line from gbodparts did seem pretty tight with zero slack, but didnt see any kinks or bends that would cut off supply.

If no other suggestions, it looks like the turbo savor may save me money in the future and correct my problem.

thank you all!

It is strange to hear about a starvation problem when you DID replace the feed line. I could understand it if you reused the gunked-up stock one.