TURBO's and HOTAIR

Try doing a search there are a lot of threads on here about conversions, if that's what you want to do.

how-tos to swap to the '86-87 drivetrain, yes. to simply add an intercooler to my '85, not so much. LOL.,

but a member here emailed me his unofficial "how-to". we'll see how it goes.

Intercoolers are over rated..

He's not aware of who you are Jamie.:biggrin: You need to provide some reading for him since he's a newby.:eek:

unless you dislike detonation.

No, unless you get an idea of how the system works and you are intelegent enough to make it work like Jamie and her hubby have.:biggrin: No insult inteded btw.:smile:

I'm not trying to take anything away from the newbie but you can make a hot air fast and run zero detonation with the right combo and a little E85 thrown in the mix. I know this is not available to everyone but it's something else that is available. I'm not saying this is reason we keep running 10's now but it's not hurting that point either. With the correct combination a lot can be accomplished. You just need to think out side the box, know a great cad designer and a great cnc operater, it's not easy and it's not for everyone. I just know intercooler kits for the 84-85 are rare as is a lot of things for the hot air. Good luck with your project, make it your own.

I don't use alcohol kits nor do we have e85. I'm not intelligent? Why, because I don't like using fuel kits? Is using pump gas only any less intelligent than refusing to put an intercooler on a turbo charged car? At least I know how to spell it, no insult intended, by the way.
GM upgraded the GN for a reason. We've run ICs on all our cars, for years, for one reason: they work. Not because they look cool. Otherwise all modern turbo charged and supercharged cars would skip the IC.
I understand all of you that want to leave the original set up just for the fun of seeing what you can do. It's the same reason we build Hondas. Sure, drag racing a FWD car with a 4-cyl engine and a mere drag radial is a retarded concept... but when the guy in the 7-sec Camaro high fives you for clicking off an 11-sec run in a civic, its all with it. To make a vehicle fast, despite Itself, is fun.
So yes: I get it.
Just please dont treat me like an Idiot for wanting my car to have more power and be more reliable.
I don't see how its okay to violate a sacred HA car by tapping in nitrous or alcohol is okay, but bolting on an intercooler isnt. Not to mention an IC always works. It can't fail and can be removed at any time, if need be. There is no pump to go bad, fail-safes to wire in, etc. Hell, I don't even need to make any other changes, if I decide to only use the IC to keep temps down and avoid knock retard (summers here are 110* or so).
All this drama is almost enough to make someone convert just to avoid this part of the forum. LOL. Jesus, guys. Lighten up.:) I've been called more names in the HA part of this site, in my short time here, than all the years Ive been on any other forum.
I gotta admit I'm used to forums being more supportive. Well..except Mustangworld.com. That place is full of haters. LOL

KAJ, Well said! I have driven these cars since 1978 - yeah,
that's right - I bought a new 1978 Sport Coupe ( turbo charged
Regal), and so on. I drove the cars everyday or my wife did.
Always tuned up and running as well as thew facory intended.
And they were SLOOOOW. I rode in my friend's new 1987
GN & I thought Wow, what a difference between it and my 85
T Type! I bought a 1987 WE 4 and got more performance and
better gas mileage. The difference was the INTERCOOLER!
The hot rodder in me has always believed in adding go fast parts
for better performance & gas mileage. All of a sudden, it is OK
to add some parts (alky injection), but not others (Intercoolers).
I fail to grasp the logic here. I will continue to add parts to cars
to make them perform better and I won't go ask somebody
if it is OK. It is your car and nobody else's. Do what ever you want.
Just my $.02. And ifi I can help somebody go faster and get
more power out of their car, I am glad to do it!

Hasn't this dead horse been beaten enough already??? :rolleyes:

Kaj: most of the people that have responded to your posts, have said at least once...It's YOUR car, do what YOU want with it...:smile:

KAJ, Well said! I have driven these cars since 1978 - yeah,
that's right - I bought a new 1978 Sport Coupe ( turbo charged
Regal), and so on. I drove the cars everyday or my wife did.
Always tuned up and running as well as thew facory intended.
And they were SLOOOOW. I rode in my friend's new 1987
GN & I thought Wow, what a difference between it and my 85
T Type! I bought a 1987 WE 4 and got more performance and
better gas mileage. The difference was the INTERCOOLER!
The hot rodder in me has always believed in adding go fast parts
for better performance & gas mileage. All of a sudden, it is OK
to add some parts (alky injection), but not others (Intercoolers).
I fail to grasp the logic here. I will continue to add parts to cars
to make them perform better and I won't go ask somebody
if it is OK. It is your car and nobody else's. Do what ever you want.
Just my $.02. And ifi I can help somebody go faster and get
more power out of their car, I am glad to do it!

It kinda sounds like you and I have similar backgrounds and goals for the cars we own: to enjoy them. I didnt buy my GN to be a museum piece, I bought it to drive. It's not like I'm bolting up 22" wheels. I just want to reduce charge temps. I plan to upgrade the brakes too. Is that okay with everyone or should I keep it pure and only run overpowered discs on the front and drum rears???? :)
Keeping my family safe is more important to me than keeping the car original.
I'm not trying to come onto a new site and tell people their way of thinking is wrong. I'm cool with all that wanna keep the car original. I can promise I will never call you a ricer, a noob, or unintelligent.

Hasn't this dead horse been beaten enough already??? :rolleyes:

Kaj: most of the people that have responded to your posts, have said at least once...It's YOUR car, do what YOU want with it...:smile:

Yup. Replies are still being added. I'm just keeping up with the conversation. As for it being a dead horse, apparently not. Much like the 4.6L DOHC VS LS-1 debate, people are still passionate on either side.
I have no issues with people doing what they want. I'm just trying to make sense of why people have issues with putting an IC on a HA car. I find it interesting. Just conversing.

Hot air means HOT turbo air! no extra piping... no more plumbing... No FMIC, or anything else that resembles a spare radiator! id doesnt mean you cant add another injector and altenative injection to keep intake temps down!

im totally kidding... I could care less about what you bolt onto your car. I agree with EVERY SINGLE PERSON! Hot air forum should be for those who have hot air cars (alky or not), and are trying to make the best out of their situation. If you want to add an IC, or go to the 86/7 swap, kudos! you may find the general tech section more informative (and hospitable) afterwards. our discussions are just that. Discussions... NOONE has to take anything to heart here. Nothing is written in concrete (except the Buick God commandment--Destroy all Mustangs)... Now, go enjoy your effing cars, stop kicking the crap out of the decomposing carcass of the equine, and lets talk dirty!!!

oh yeah... I like that turbo blowing all over my intake... mmmmmmmmm

Do you like my injector pulse? ohhhhhhhhhh

:eek::eek::eek::eek::tongue::eek::eek::eek::eek:

LIGHTEN UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John;)

Hot air means HOT turbo air! no extra piping... no more plumbing... No FMIC, or anything else that resembles a spare radiator! id doesnt mean you cant add another injector and altenative injection to keep intake temps down!

im totally kidding... I could care less about what you bolt onto your car. I agree with EVERY SINGLE PERSON! Hot air forum should be for those who have hot air cars (alky or not), and are trying to make the best out of their situation. If you want to add an IC, or go to the 86/7 swap, kudos! you may find the general tech section more informative (and hospitable) afterwards. our discussions are just that. Discussions... NOONE has to take anything to heart here. Nothing is written in concrete (except the Buick God commandment--Destroy all Mustangs)... Now, go enjoy your effing cars, stop kicking the crap out of the decomposing carcass of the equine, and lets talk dirty!!!

oh yeah... I like that turbo blowing all over my intake... mmmmmmmmm

Do you like my injector pulse? ohhhhhhhhhh

LIGHTEN UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John;)

LOL @ the first part and "amen brutha" to the rest! :)

i wish we had a :glenn: smiley on this board! i think you're right, though. the HA forum may not be for me. ;)

KAJ
Welcome to the HOT AIR forum... I guess you have figured out the HA guy and girls are a PASSIONATE bunch. You car is yours to do what you want with it.... alky, NOS, E85, or the dreaded INTERCOOLER.... LOL, I am going to use ALLL:eek: of the above. I am curious to see what each component is worth.

Kudos to Ms. Jamie (and of course Karl), Brent, 6 TO GO(Mark), Jerry Berger Jr(Sr. also), Eric Singer, Terry Penner (Mr.NOS), LOUIE, COOL84 and of course the Godfather of HA, Leeo (Dewayne) and anyone else I may have forgot. Hot Air cars are completely unique. With DETERMINATION, each made the HOT AIRS unique. If you can tune a HOT AIR, you are TRULY a tuner:biggrin:

HOT AIR guys and girls are a special bunch:eek:, so take each comment with a grain of salt. HOT AIR cars started the "Revolution" as we know it.