TURBO's and HOTAIR

ta-33/hot air exhaust housing. HUGE obstacle for us. i know, :rolleyes: no big secret. i've got some input/questions for later, only had a second to pop in. some good reading guys!

looks like i got a few minutes. jerryl, boost23, anybody.... is there anybody that thinks the 61 wheel in the hot air housing can do low 11's if nothing else (including our stock exhaust housing) was a obstructing factor?

cool. one more thing to look into. right now im going to play with what i have and see where it gets me. im going to up the boost more and and some timing and see what happens. as far as the boost creep and dp those have both been addressed. i sold my mease 3 in dp so i will no longer use and internal gate. i had a custom DP built, i also went to an AMS500 and a 46mm Tial. that should fix that. o im also running a PTS billet 9x11 2800-3000 flash stall

looks like i got a few minutes. jerryl, boost23, anybody.... is there anybody that thinks the 61 wheel in the hot air housing can do low 11's if nothing else (including our stock exhaust housing) was a obstructing factor?

jamie might be able to answer this for you. you might need alot of boost to do it. i have goten mid 11's so far out of my TA54.

Well, according to the map, it won't, but reality is different.
This is on an IC'd car, plus, these cars run alky as well.

............. The TA49 has been 10.80's on an un-opened engine except springs. ...........
Here is the thread ....
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbos-turbo-related-parts/278688-what-turbo-best-my-combo.html

Here is another quote from another thread;
I know the tinman ran 10.90 with a 49 ,30 lbs of boost and unopened motor.The article is in one of the older gsxtra.Good Luck

So, there are quite a few people running 10's with the 60 wheel ....... However ..........
The TA33 has a 60trim wheel and the fastest recorded time is 12.15 (something like that).
Go figure ........ It's a HA thing :rolleyes:

Edit;
Just read ......... you were talking ab out the 61 wheel. :redface:
Not sure what that is. :confused:

Hey Jerry, look what I found

Garret ROCKS!:biggrin: They sent me the maps you needed so we can see the differences between the turbos.:eek: :D See what you can do with these Jerry.

Attachments

• 466112-1_comp_map83 Buick.jpg
    466112-1_comp_map83 Buick.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 157
  • 465518-2_comp_map81 Pontiac.jpg
    465518-2_comp_map81 Pontiac.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 183
  • 466748-5_comp_map 86 Buick.jpg
    466748-5_comp_map 86 Buick.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 181
The first is the 83, second is the TTA 301, and third is the 86-87 turbo.

Well, looks like these wheels do not have the flow capability as the TA33 60 trim wheel at any given boost level.

Just remember I'm using the exhaust wheel and housing off the 86 and the intake wheel and housing off the 301.

i'm a newbie. im going to read. i have a sweet idea in my head just need the $$$ to do so.

i'm a newbie. im going to read. i have a sweet idea in my head just need the $$$ to do so.

LOL, Newbie compared to who? It's all relative my friend.
Do tell about the idea. HAHAA!

PS:
I pulled the thread up to see if the **** I write is accurate. :eek:

A nice lady had a hot air car at Nationals this year. It had a bigger turbo, burned E85 (with the necessary fuel system upgrades) and was running 10.5's! With E85, I think that an intercooler is not the advantage it once was!!! If I didn't have an intercooler, I WOULD be running E85 (and it is a bitch to find here in central NC)!
Conrad

My buddy ran 11.8's on his hot air, with a cam, mild port job, and 60 shot of N2O. I thought that was pretty impressive. I'm sure on a bigger shot it would have gone faster. But now he runs 7's with a stage II.

jerryl, you sir are dead on with what you have posted and what i have came across. Go big or go home. Got Turbo?

not sure if this thread is still on track.. but if anyone comes across it during a search, as i did, yes: a larger turbo will flow the same CFM as smaller one while generating less heat. you get the CFM at a lower PSI which means less heat.

we used to run a Precision SC34 on all our Hondas. 400hp at about 13-15psi. not bad. decent spool, too. no detonation while running through FMICs.
we also bumped up to an SC63 and made 600whp at about 20psi, if i remember correctly.
keep in mind the 400hp cars were 10.6:1 CR.
we had instant acceleration, gobs of power, etc. best of both worlds. :)

anyway.. we ran the largest turbo we could without sacrificing spool time for the sole purpose of keeping charge temps down.

if i could go larger on my '85 i would. but i just don't see many upgrades for this car. as such, i'll probably swap to an '87 conversion.

P.S. can ANYONE point me in the direction of a how-to for tossing a FMIC onto my '85? i've seen a few pictures of finished cars.. no how-tos... no kits to buy. help!

:)

Try doing a search there are a lot of threads on here about conversions, if that's what you want to do.