Turbonetics CPT60 / HP figures

neilb

Just curious what you experienced TB guys think my hp will be. I'm running a 109 block bored 0.030" over, stock heads (cleaned up valves), a CPT60 turbo, and a 214/214 cam. My goal is to hit the 450hp mark, but I'm starting to doubt some of my decisions. Am I on the right track here? What about injectors? I was told to use 42# injectors, but I've seen other guys with similar setups running 60# and some even 80#. I'm getting very close to starting the engine (first engine build ever), what boost pressures should I be breaking this engine in with? I'm starting to get nervous about whether I made the proper choices. Any input/suggestions would be great. Thanks

with the proper tune I don't think you should have a problem obtaining your goals, but expect to run high boost. If you plan on running alky, the additonal fuel will help if your only running 42# injectors.

What are your e.t goals and what converter are you using? What are you using to tune with?....got a w/b?

with the proper tune I don't think you should have a problem obtaining your goals, but expect to run high boost. If you plan on running alky, the additonal fuel will help if your only running 42# injectors.

What are your e.t goals and what converter are you using? What are you using to tune with?....got a w/b?

Only 42 lb/hr? Not many on here can max those out especially while spraying in alky. 450hp by themself is not a problem

A horsepower goal is useless. There's WAYYYY too many factors that will affect the car, regardless of horsepower. Altitude, air temps, humidity, engine strength, transmission strength, cars weight, traction/tires, suspension, how you're going to go about cooling your intake charge, the tune, how well matched your cars weight/rear end gear/cam/converter/tune is, fuel availability, etc etc. A set horsepower doesn't really mean a whole hell of a lot. I've beat cars with 50 more horse than mine all the time, because I was a more dialed in driver, had a better launch, and my car was running decent.

You should be setting a time goal. Are you trying to build a street car, or track car? Do you want a mid 12's, low 12's, high 11's, mid 11's, low 11's, or a high 10's car?

If you built the engine, do a turbo saver filter first. Secondly, run an rjc power plate. With those injectors, you should be running methanol. What sort of intercooler are you running?
And what boost levels should you break the engine in with? 0psi. My engine builder told me (and he knows what he's doin) run it easy for 50 miles. After that, you should be ok.
And without ported heads, that cam is really restricted in my opinion. You're going to have to port those heads some day. I know I know there's been 48 people here that have run 7's with stock heads. But why flog your turbo to do so? Port 'em. And what sort of exhaust are you running? And who's chip are you using?

I don't really have a E/T goal... maybe mid 12's?. The converter is a topic I have no idea where to go. I believe Cotton's performance recommends a 2800 stall converter with the CPT60. I currently have a stock converter from a 87 camaro (I'm running a 700r4, because this engine is in my camaro) I figured it would do for now until I get the engine running and get any bugs worked out. Not to mention some money.:rolleyes: For engine tuning, a have a turbo tweak chip. That's the reason for the concerns... It calls for 42# injectors, but I'm just not sure if they are going to be enough. I would like to get a scanmaster or something similar for more tuning. I don't have a wide band... I have a old narrow band.... I know, I know, it's crap, but it was free. :tongue: I don't have any plans on running alky, but you never know what the future holds.

The car is going to be mainly a street car with the occasional trip to the track. I already have a turbo saver in place (one of the first things I bought) I currently have a stock GN intercooler, but with plans for a front mount in the near future. I would eventually like to step up to a complete champion racing intake/heads, thats why I didn't spring for the extra expense on porting the heads. (I'm on a pretty tight budget)

Exhaust is 2.75" tubing with the stock downpipe elbow, and cheap ebay chinese knockoff headers (crap I know... but again, cheap)

Stupid question? ... Why should I be running methanol with 42# injectors? Would using larger ones be better suited?

42lb injectors will be fine with the 60mm.you won't be raising the boost anyway without octane.

I just suggested alky with the 42 pounders, in case you wanted to turn up the boost really high. The turbo tweak chip is perfect. If you want a mild street car, you can leave the heads alone.
Talk to Dusty on here about converters. He can definitely steer you in the right direction. So could bison, if he's around.
Though, you REALLY need a scanmaster. Don't do ANYthing without one. I'd suggest a real boost gauge as well.

I don't really have a E/T goal... maybe mid 12's?. The converter is a topic I have no idea where to go. I believe Cotton's performance recommends a 2800 stall converter with the CPT60. I currently have a stock converter from a 87 camaro (I'm running a 700r4, because this engine is in my camaro) I figured it would do for now until I get the engine running and get any bugs worked out. Not to mention some money.:rolleyes: For engine tuning, a have a turbo tweak chip. That's the reason for the concerns... It calls for 42# injectors, but I'm just not sure if they are going to be enough. I would like to get a scanmaster or something similar for more tuning. I don't have a wide band... I have a old narrow band.... I know, I know, it's crap, but it was free. :tongue: I don't have any plans on running alky, but you never know what the future holds.

The car is going to be mainly a street car with the occasional trip to the track. I already have a turbo saver in place (one of the first things I bought) I currently have a stock GN intercooler, but with plans for a front mount in the near future. I would eventually like to step up to a complete champion racing intake/heads, thats why I didn't spring for the extra expense on porting the heads. (I'm on a pretty tight budget)

Exhaust is 2.75" tubing with the stock downpipe elbow, and cheap ebay chinese knockoff headers (crap I know... but again, cheap)

Stupid question? ... Why should I be running methanol with 42# injectors? Would using larger ones be better suited?

As Bison commented above, 42# injectors will be fine for your current goals. Add in alky and you can push it even further. I suggested alky because it sound as though your building a mostly street driven car, and IMO almost every turbo street car can benefit from alky (cooler air intake charge, and no need for race gas). If it were me I would get a scan tool first so you can tune for no detonation. A w/b may cost a few hundred bucks but it can save you thousands.

So the thought is that 42#ers will work? awesome. Always good to hear other people's thoughts. The alky idea has me interested, I think I may do some research into that for a possible future addition. What Scan tool does everyone recommend? (I have access to a snap-on Modis unit. will that work?) or should I go with a scanmaster or similar unit?

So the thought is that 42#ers will work? awesome. Always good to hear other people's thoughts. The alky idea has me interested, I think I may do some research into that for a possible future addition. What Scan tool does everyone recommend? (I have access to a snap-on Modis unit. will that work?) or should I go with a scanmaster or similar unit?

Powerlogger with wideband.

Update!!!

Hey everyone! just thought I'd let you know that I fired my car up for the first time in 4 years tonight!! After a way too long time of gathering parts, and building I finally got my baby running. It actually started easier than I thought, just after a few seconds of cranking! I started into the Compcams break-in procedure but had to stop due to a rather large oil leak coming from the timing cover area ( I'm not really sure exactly where its coming from, the crank balancer was slinging oil all over the place)) I'll have to investigate that in the next few days.

Since I've posted last a few things have been changed to my build. Still running the stock 109 block with stock heads, and the CPT60 turbo. I upgraded to a fontmount intercooler, and I double checked my cam card, and realized the what I posted above was wrong. I'm running a 212/212 flat tappet hydraulic unit. I do have plans for alky, and I'm looking into various scan tool options.

I hope to get it too the track after some proper tuning and break-in time to see what it will do.

She sure sounded mean and loud!! photos and updates to come!! Thanks for all the help over the last while (and I'm sure more help will be needed when it comes time to tune)