TurboLink 4.0

motorhead

motorhead mike
Okay, I am a little peeved.

Why you ask?

Mostly because if I purchase the Turbo Link 4.0 upgrade... it'll be my 3rd software/hardware purchase from Accelerate Tech in under a year.

Recently, Ken came on here stating that the download of the upgrade would be free for those who could basically host 100MB on their HD and/or burn a CD (assuming their Lap Top isn't their primary computer).

Now it is going to cost me another $69 for software and hardware?! This can't be right.

While I don't feel I NEED to purchase 4.0, I do feel that there was/has been barely any support for 3.xx. Heck, I am still finding bugs in it (or my car :eek: ). And now it seems that "Ken" has moved on. I am concerned that I need to upgrade my cable... or cables at this time as well. A greater quality unit is included in the upgrade... but, their website doesn't actively state. "WHY?"
I whole fully support the effort that Ken makes in this community. Really. :) But this is getting out of hand. "We" lived with V2.xx for years and within ~8 months 2 new releases of the product have hit the market. I am becoming a bit overwhelmed financially.

This is by NO MEANS a public castration of a vendor and a quality person. Ken and his staff have been very helpful to me in the past. But, since have begun catering to a new market (Sy/Ty) Accelerate Tech has taken up quite the charge on the market... and left us playing catch up. :(

So unless I have really missed something here... I'll remain a little disgruntled until I can justify to myself and my car that I can part with another $70 + shipping, duty and taxes.

Thanks,

Why did you buy the upgrade? If you already had v 3.0 it was a free software upgrade and your existing cable would work. If you wanted to use it with the newer vehicles added then you need the new cable.

Scroll down the order page and you will see the FREE download..I just did it and it works great.....

I don't have any of the added vehicles so I don't care about the cable right now....Got to read the fine print.....

Originally posted by BoostedBug
Why did you buy the upgrade? If you already had v 3.0 it was a free software upgrade and your existing cable would work. If you wanted to use it with the newer vehicles added then you need the new cable.

Scroll down the order page and you will see the FREE download..I just did it and it works great.....

I don't have any of the added vehicles so I don't care about the cable right now....Got to read the fine print.....

See. :eek: This is what I meant about "really" missing something. ;) :D

EDIT: I should add that I have not purchased the upgrade, or downloaded the file as of yet. My mind is now at ease. :)

Thanks,

EDITARD in Chief of "How To: Make Yourself Look Like A Jackass On The Internet In Under 1000 Words" :rolleyes:

No problem...I will give one bit of advise on the install...You have to delete your old Install of 3.0.2 before you install the new 4.0. Mine would not intialize after the install, called Ken and there is a registration file that did not run and we had to run it manualy...

If you have the same problem give him a call, they will walk you through it!

I missed it the first 2 times I looked at the turbo-link website

Oh yea..Let me know if you find the free link.....

And the CD with the software is just $15 with the shipping. That's not too bad. Not for a good product like Turbo Link. I just wish he would make it so that it works on the high-tech calculator that I call a laptop. So for now I'll just stick with the Version 2.11.

Brian

No problem...I will give one bit of advise on the install...You have to delete your old Install of 3.0.2 before you install the new 4.0. Mine would not intialize after the install, called Ken and there is a registration file that did not run and we had to run it manualy...

If you have the same problem give him a call, they will walk you through it!

I missed it the first 2 times I looked at the turbo-link website

Oh yea..Let me know if you find the free link.....

Thanks for the heads up on the install. :)

The thing I don't understand (and I'm not too computer savvy) is how come 4.0 is FREE? I mean, I paid for 3.0 and it says to remove 3.0 and its upgrades before installing 4.0. It never asks to install a purchased T-Link disc or anything. Does this mean anyone can get 4.0 for free? Does this mean the $215 I paid last year was really just for the ALDL cable and adapter?

It's a free upgrade. That is the kind of tech support that Ken offers. Free. He improved it, and he sends it out to you/us. He wants everyone to be happy with his product obviously. That's it, I gotta get myslef a faster laptop so that I can upgrade.

Brian

Originally posted by stickybones
The thing I don't understand (and I'm not too computer savvy) is how come 4.0 is FREE? I mean, I paid for 3.0 and it says to remove 3.0 and its upgrades before installing 4.0. It never asks to install a purchased T-Link disc or anything. Does this mean anyone can get 4.0 for free? Does this mean the $215 I paid last year was really just for the ALDL cable and adapter?

Yep call Ken and ask how much for the cable.....Same price as the O/S

Yep call Ken and ask how much for the cable.....Same price as the O/S

Unless you broke yours... the replacement cost is a touch less. ;)

That is about the only way to get his money. Software is too easy to steel or copy so why bother trying to track it, but the hardware isn't so easy to copy. Granted the time and money all went into developing the software, but the only way to track who paid for the product is the people that have the hardware.