turboing a supercharger??

H

HOT ROD

hello supercharged fan's,
I have a question. I'm wondering what the results would be if you would convert a 3800 engine to a turbo engine. Is the 3800 stronger or weaker, only suited for a blower or also for turbo, can you use the same computer or not?
Has anyone tried it before?
Please let me know, 'cause I'm really wondering.

DeQuick tried to convert my GTP to turbo - no luck. You have to use an LS1 or LT1 MAF cause the L67 MAF can't read boost. You also have to build a custom upper intake, custom headers, use the GT lower intake, GT heads (or plug up the injector bungs). There's a guy over on www.clubgp.com/forum named Booosted that tried it too. Talk to GTXGP (Adam Garrett) and he can show you some pictures of someone else's setup that I think worked quite well. Any other questions?

EDIT: My boy Mike Dye (mikergp) is pushing like 16 psi and he has no problems blowing head gaskets. He has a 2.6" pulley, intercooler (stock heads), cam, computer, and exhaust work. He just got a nerw PB of like 12.1.

I'd assume the L67 is stronger, but I'm not sure.

I'd much rather have a turbo on my L67. If I were to do it, I'd modify the stock headers to make then work. The front one seems fine, the rear would have to change alot or even be replaced completely. I'd use the L67 lower intake, with the supercharger removed and a custom plenum made up to take it's place. I'd move the MAF to the turbo inlet (like on the grand national), that would solve the blow-through problem. And I would definately find a way to put an air/air front mount or water/air intercooler on.

hi gnxcyclone,
I assume that L67 is the code for the 3800?
What would be the code for the 3.8 turbo??
I know the 3800 uses the same crank as the 3.8 ( rolled filled's) and it has good pistons, but is the block itself and the whole engine stronger then the 3.8 turbo?
If one would convert the 3800 from supercharger to turbo could you use the same computer? and the rest of the fuel/ignition system?
How about mating it to the TH200-4r trans, is that possible without adapterplate?or do you have to use the 4L60E??
How does the 4L60E compare to the TH200-4r trans in strength?

I know it's a lot of questions but in Europe it is possible to get the 3800 sc so maybe if I'm prepared I might try that way altough I still prefer the proven original 3.8 turbo which means I have to get one from the U.S.

I hope to get answers I can work with!
Grtz Hot Rod.

You can use the same computer but it would have to be custom programmed. The guys at Digital Horsepower (www.3800performance.com) will do it for you, but you'd have to bring your car to them.

I haven't heard of anyone mating the L67 to a RWD trans; I'm not sure if it could easily be done.

Reread my original post for the fuel system.

The 4L60E is a **** trans! They have to be fully reworked to accept moderate horsepower level (I'm on my third right now :mad: ).

L67 is the code for the supercharged series II 3800. The code for the 86-87 Turbo 3.8L is LC2.

These engines share the same bore and stroke, but absolutely no parts interchange. Both cranks may have rolled fillets, but they are NOT interchangeable. The series II has cross-bolted mains which should mean the block is more durable.

The L67 will not bolt to a RWD transmission without an adapter. It's not a matter oif Chevy mounts versus BOP, but rather transverse versus loingitudinal.

I would be willing to bet the PCM would still work fine with a turbo if the MAF were placed upstream of the turbo...since it bases it's fuel calc on mass air and that reading would still be correct. Hmmm, although when intercooled, it will be denser than what the PCM would expect from the S/C.

I would really like to give a turbo a try, but this is my daily driver family car so it's not gonna happen. I'll just have to keep playing with the old dinosaur GN.