Turbo'd Z71 w/Meth kit question

F8L Z71

I am installing a turbo kit on my 5.3L ext.cab Z71 truck with a Meth/Alk kit here in the next week or two. I will be installing 42lb injectors and have LS1Edit tuning (Basically can change anything I want in the PCM)

I wanna run as much boost as possible at the track so my question is. How much more boost are you guys able to run when you run a methanol kit AND race gas compared to without? Also which gas do you use and do you prefer alcohol over Meth? I am trying to figure out my settings (and other stuff I need) prior to hitting the dyno for tuning.

Originally posted by F8L Z71

I wanna run as much boost as possible at the track so my question is. How much more boost are you guys able to run when you run a methanol kit AND race gas compared to without? Also which gas do you use and do you prefer alcohol over Meth? I am trying to figure out my settings (and other stuff I need) prior to hitting the dyno for tuning.

Well congrats on taking the first steps.

I use 93 octane from a regular gas station. Tho I have my quirks about certain stations.. I have no track/HP difference over Amoco/Chevron/Sunoco/Mobil etc.

How much more boost depends on tuning and fueling. And I have no need for race gas, hence why I use alcohol injection. That is the point of using it.. Can it hurt your race gas tune.. no. At the worst case it will bring down your intake air temps. Tho again we're back to how much is being sprayed. If your tuning is being done on a dyno, I would tune with pump gas(93) and alcohol so you have your street setting done.

Lastly methanol=alcohol. Many kinds of alcohol. Denatured, Isopropyl are two others.

Your hurdle is depending on system, getting the volume of alcohol, timing, and fuel tables in the upper rpms corrected for the extra fueling alcohol provides. And you werent specific as to what system your installing.

Remember a windshield washer tank with motor can make an alcohol injection system. Not a very good one, but it is what it is ;)

Thx for the response mate!

I am using one of the STS systems on my truck and their Meth kit. They don't show the whole kit in the pic but here is a link to their setup. http://www.ststurbo.com/inc/pdetail?v=1&pid=398

Have you seen this unit before? I have not purchased it yet and wanted to get opinions because I have read a lot of good stuff about your kit also. It's just that I am getting a great deal on the whole turbo kit from a local dealer. :)

I am also using their dual-stage boost controller which can auto arm the Meth kit and also reverts back to the low boost settings in case I run out of Alk or the pump stops for any reason.

Hmmm, I'm not sure if it comes with the MAP sensor or the PAC either.... I'm gonna call them and ask em. If not then I might have to save alil more and buy your kit. Hmmm

First time I hear of that system. Also no pictures leaves a lot of :confused: . The adjustable nozzle sounds interesting as well.

Cant say yay or nay since I dont know/have seen the system. I did read about the rear mounted turbo setup on a 4th gen some time ago.

I will add the following, it appears they want to control the alcohol injection as if it were a fuel injector. In other words, give the ability to make changes in pressure based on demand like TPS, load, airflow, rpm, etc. Problem is you cannot make fast changes to any high pressure pump due to the mass of the pump spinning. Its like tires on your car that you can spin to 100 then go to 70 then back up to 90.. the mass of the tire doesnt allow for abrupt changes that way. And I can only imagine trying to tune out a system thats constantly making changes to pressure output.

Sounds like a fairly priced product, tho questions as to materials used, tank sizing, pump?, hoses, and the adjustable nozzle.. all are up in the air.

The question I have is how does it know its not pumping? Or have a clogged nozzle? becuase the pump has voltage doesnt mean its pumping.. so unless theyre monitoring knock detector on the block.. its all up in the air.

Post your findings or pictures. The more information on the product.. the merrier.

Razor,

I talked with one of the guys there at STS today about their kit (before I read this post) and he said it indeed does try to read off the injectors or something to that effect. But it doesn't have or use a MAP or PAC type setup so I am not sure how it works exactly. Here is the only pic I could find and it isn't the big pic, more of a thumbnail link but it doesn't link to anything. But gives you an idea of the pump and such. :(

meth_with_pump_laid_out_ezr.jpg

I'll ask them about how it senses the pump is not flowing or lines clogged etc and post up when I get the info. I still like the way yours is set up. Would it integrate with my truck fairly easily?

There is a guy... http://www.derekdevises.com/ he runs the pump off of injector DC. Tho same issue I stated previously about the pressure change deal.

I had a customer install a kit into a C1500 with a whipple SC. He used the factory radiator reservoir tank for alky. No problems.

So the truck has been done.. just a different induction setup.

If I can help, contact me off list :)