turbocharger/supercharger question

TommyV8

Is a turbocharger considered a type of supercharger? I know they are usually discussed seperately but the only difference is the power source, right? So can't a turbocharger be referred to as a type of supercharger? If this has come up before please excuse my newbness, thanks. :eek:

"Turbocharger" is a type of "Supercharger". So it can be referred to as a supercharger only problem is people will think your wrong. Its not a commonly known fact.

Turbochargers are exhaust driven
Superchargers are belt drive
Turbochargers have spool time, even though insignificant in some cases
superchargers are a "instant on demand" energy source
Turbochargers are not a constant strain on the motor
Superchargers are a constant strain on the motor even at idle?

All points agreed to. But I think what we're working on here is a definition of terms, to which it appears according to the dictionary that a turbocharger is, in fact, a form of the device defined as a supercharger. News to me, but then I consider the day a complete waste if I didn't learn anything. Yesterday, it was that cold glass looks the same as hot glass (not unlike turbo heat shields); today, a turbocharger is also a supercharger.

A turbcharger is classified as a centrifugal compressor.

Supercharger and Turbocharger are words that were added to make the masses happy.

Supercharger is a Positive displacement air pump, for every one revolution a constant volume of gas is moved

Turbocharger is Variable displacement air pump, as the speed of the pump is increased the volume of gas per revolution is increased

Grant

Well, except that there is also such thing as a centrifrugal supercharger - not common, but it exists. Which makes "turbocharger" a nonspecific identifier in terms of the method of compression of the driven media. More specifically, I suppose we could get wordy and identify it as a turbine driven centrifrugal compressor, turbo for short.

The paxton line of superchargers, were, or are a centrirfugal desing supercharger. So, are the other superchargers that look like Paxton centrifrugals also?

in the automotive world we have come to use the term supercharger for any air pump that is driven mechanically by the engine usually by a belt, and turbocharger is used for a air pump driven by exhaust gas, the paxton is a variable displacement pump that is belt driven, so we call it a centrifugal supercharger.
Grant

If you want to use engineering terms, stop saying supercharger. A supercharger is a LOT of different things.

If you classify them as pumps, that makes it easier to understand what they really are.

The main types of pumps are centrifugal pumps and positive displacement pumps (Roots style and Lysholm Style), for automotive use.

the only reason i used the term supercharger is because the question was asked how the engineering term certrifugal was realted to a paxton pump, so for comparison reasons it was used, not to confuse anyone.
Grant

Where this whole mess started, wwII airplanes... a turbo was called a "turbo supercharger" and the engines were often turbo and supercharged. The "intercooler" was inbetween the turbo and supercharger, which is where it got the name. What we run is more accurately described as an aftercooler, but the terms got all confused.