Turbo wheel question

There are different wheel designs, both hot and cold sides, that can effect spool up characteristics and power levels. A lot of the import guys talk about "clipping" the wheels to tailor the power curve to suit their needs. I would not want to try that simply because it's probably a hit or miss kind of thing. There is enough of a selection of aftermarket turbos for these cars that you can pretty much match one up to your needs right out of the box. There are also plenty of people upgrading so if you don't have to have the latest and greatest, bargins can be had.

Increasing pressure is usually as simple as having an adjustable wastegate or boost control. Most of our turbos are capable of making enough boost to get into detonation on street gas and that being said, more boost does not necessarily mean more power. Once a turbo gets out of it's efficiency range any additional boost is offset by turbulence and heat.

As far as mileage, there are two basic ways to increase the power that an engine makes. One is to burn more fuel, the other is to make it more efficient at burning what it already has. The first would have a neg. impact on mileage the latter would increase the mileage. To increase boost you normally have to increase fuel as well. But even if you have a more efficient wheel it will have a negligble impact on mileage because relativly speaking we spend so little time under boost.

Thank you for the information. Gas prices are killing my pockets since I also have to pay gas for a truck and lawn equipment. I will definately keep the turbo upgrade in mind

Hah...gas prices... todays price here for 94 is $1.41 per litre, which converts to $5.64 per US gallon...ouch

Use the "turbo T wheels" they're lighter than GN wheels:biggrin: Ok, got my Smart @ss comment on this thread. Time to move on;)

Thank you to everyone who has responded. For Turbo6Smackdown, I have a 86 GN and the truck is a 66 Ford F100 with a 429 big block.

I get 42mpg when drafting off one of the moderators fast cars. :cool:

They're always out on the road, never in here booting the trolls. :rolleyes:

Thank you to everyone who has responded. For Turbo6Smackdown, I have a 86 GN and the truck is a 66 Ford F100 with a 429 big block.

Rice, post your vehicles in a signature, and list everything that's done to 'em. It'll be easier on everyone. :)
As far as mpg, we're one of the better 'hot rods' in terms of fuel economy. But remember, that's all relative to the 'hot rod' world. My friends '06 civic gets 35 mpg. In a nutshell, if you're worried about fuel efficiency, get out now while you still can. Otherwise, you're going to enter a bottomless pit of spending and speed addiction. VERY expensive.

About the turbine wheels? Don't worry about those. We already have turbos that fit in our combos precisely. No need to worry about all that stuff here at Buick. All that other stuff is for the rice burners, that have to do everything humanly possible just to shave off a tenth second, because their hondas only boast 4 cylinder N/A engines. Here, you just pick the biggest turbo you can afford, (along with the supporting mods of course) and bolt it on.
So to answer your question "Is there some type of turbo wheel that can increase gas milage and boost pressure?"
Increase gas mileage? No. Increase boost? Yea. The biggest wheel you can afford.

Rice, post your vehicles in a signature, and list everything that's done to 'em. It'll be easier on everyone. :)
As far as mpg, we're one of the better 'hot rods' in terms of fuel economy. But remember, that's all relative to the 'hot rod' world. My friends '06 civic gets 35 mpg. In a nutshell, if you're worried about fuel efficiency, get out now while you still can. Otherwise, you're going to enter a bottomless pit of spending and speed addiction. VERY expensive.

About the turbine wheels? Don't worry about those. We already have turbos that fit in our combos precisely. No need to worry about all that stuff here at Buick. All that other stuff is for the rice burners, that have to do everything humanly possible just to shave off a tenth second, because their hondas only boast 4 cylinder N/A engines. Here, you just pick the biggest turbo you can afford, (along with the supporting mods of course) and bolt it on.
So to answer your question "Is there some type of turbo wheel that can increase gas milage and boost pressure?"
Increase gas mileage? No. Increase boost? Yea. The biggest wheel you can afford.

Thanks alot for the responce. Yeah, I have been thinking about getting out due to the fact I drive the GN daily unless I've got to cut some yards. But, now that is unlikely to happen cause I am addicted to these cars. BTW, I will put the info in the sig today

THANKS

Your gn is your daily driver? MAN, I hope you have taken quadruple measures in making sure that thing's not stolen. Daily drivin' a gn is never a good idea.

Your gn is your daily driver? MAN, I hope you have taken quadruple measures in making sure that thing's not stolen. Daily drivin' a gn is never a good idea.

Yeah, I've heard some of the stories. But, I bought a kill switch for the battery, a collar lock, which was recommended by turbo39151, and a Bible in the front seat. I did drive to school last semester and now I drive it mostly to Atlanta from Fayette county. I park it where everyone can see, so people might think twice before attempting to take it. Other than that, it's just a car. They should be driven instead of being taken on a stroll every once and a while. And if someone takes it, like almost anything, it can be replaced. Now, the Ford is also used daily aswell.