Turbo upgrade

darkred87T

Hi, I came to yet another cross road with my car. You can see the mods in my sig. I recently bought a Translator Pro and ditched my MAF. Along with it, I ordered a 4" MAF pipe and filter. I'm only running a GT3255 size turbo and I can'y make any kind of aftermarket CAI work reasonably with it. I think it's time for a bigger turbo anyway. Any advise on a good turbo? Thanks in advance,

MIke

I Got a Pro Torque 3000 stall L/U converter....Anyone?

I know there are alot of threads on this but I just wanted to get a general idea before I did any research.

Whats your et and mph now and what is your goal?
That turbo you have has seen high tens

My best run before the heads and cam was 12.0@112MPH. I'm pretty sure I can do a lot better than that now.

I'm just sick of trying to get an intake pipe to fit on it. The inlet bell comes out too far and no one seems to sell a pipe that will clear the alternator. :confused:

With that convertor, a TE-61 will go 11.0 @ 122ish on race fuel with supporting mods. I was there, I saw it. Helped put the car together.

Your heads, cam, IC, and alchy can support that.

O.K I guess I'm turbo illiterate. I looked don the Precision website and founf TAs/TEs and PT's. Come someone tell me the difference?

Precision lists a PT61 that's good for mid 10's but a 3200 and up converter. Maybe I'm close enough with a 3000 stall?

My best run before the heads and cam was 12.0@112MPH. I'm pretty sure I can do a lot better than that now.

I'm just sick of trying to get an intake pipe to fit on it. The inlet bell comes out too far and no one seems to sell a pipe that will clear the alternator. :confused:

You have to mock it up, and find out where that first curve will best suit you. From there, you'll have to saw off a little bit, on one end, to ensure that after bolting, the curve will be where you want it to be. Also, depending on your pipe, some have 3 curves, NOT 2. There's the 2 obvious curves, but then, some are bent yet again, make the filter, when installed right, point down a bit. take and look at your pipe, and try mocking it up backwards, forwards, with a twist... and deeper/shallower inside the hose connecting it to the inlet bell. There's literally millions of combinations. Also, does your iac motor get in the way? Theres a relocation bracket available for that too. And, for more room to play, try a 7'' air filter.
Once you find a good, short filter design, try AFE for your filters. They're superior to k and n's. With a really free flowing exhaust, a 3'' or bigger DP, and a 4'' maf pipe, your turbo should be spooling just fine. Find out what your new ET is, with those new heads and cam. That's a pretty serious mod. With that, your turbo, and alky, you should be running pretty good.

You should be able to go much faster with the 3255 than you have. You should be able to get the CAI to work if you ordered the correct reducers. Personally i wouldnt have went to a 4" pipe if the turbo inlet was only 3". You just add in the the need for an IAC relocator and have to deal with a larger pipe that will be really tight and a PIA to work around. When you get to 118mph then you should start to think about a different turbo. A different turbo wont makeup for tuning. Get some runs on the 3255 and new mods and see where you are