turbo upgrade ??

civicsmasher3.8

smokin' more than tires
i have a 87 stock gn. i noticed today when i replaced the stock charge pipe i have excessive oil all inside of it. i wanted a turbo upgrade since i bought the car and was wondering what route would be the best route. i also noticed that i dont have coolant lines on mine. i dont like that, im looking for sugestions on turbo's with coolant lines and quicker and higher boost. ???? please help

There are a multitude of turbos for our cars. The first question I have is, what is your intended usage and target performance? Anytime you upgrade the turbo, you will need to upgrade the fuel system, also. We will need a complete list of upgrades that have already been done on your car. What fuel pump, is it hot-wired, what injectors, chip, air filter, torque converter, down pipe, exhaust...........

since this directly relates to what I am considering as well...

I'd like to be able to run mid-high 11's (no roll bars for me) in a full street car (by hawaii standards) AC, Power everything...

Currently no fuel system Mods, stock DP.

Car has a cone filter, exhaust, no cat, T-stat.

I understand the fuel system upgrades are in order (logically)... FP, FPR, hotwire kit...

A new chip geared for the planned mods....

bigger turbo... DP... cutout or not? (no track here anyway)

Am I on the right track?

Your on the right track. On a stock car you will be surprised the difference a good 3'' downpipe and free flowing exhaust will do. On top of that i would maybe try and step up on the intercooler. A V4 stock replacement intercooler will help keep your car cooler and more effecient....meaning more power. Also get you a big 9" K&N filter. Im guessing your still running stock/low boost? On a stock turbo i like about 20-23 psi with alcohol injection or 100+ octane.

With 3" DP, good exhaust setup, better IC, 5 more psi, and good fuel.....you will be going :eek:

When my first GN was stock it ran 13.90's @ 100 mph. Basically same mods as above....it ran 12.90's @ 105 mph.

If you decide to go with a bigger turbo.....look at a TA-49, PT-51, or TE-44. Go ahead and go with some MSD 50# injectors so you have room to grow.

Your on the right track. On a stock car you will be surprised the difference a good 3'' downpipe and free flowing exhaust will do. On top of that i would maybe try and step up on the intercooler. A V4 stock replacement intercooler will help keep your car cooler and more effecient....meaning more power. Also get you a big 9" K&N filter. Im guessing your still running stock/low boost? On a stock turbo i like about 20-23 psi with alcohol injection or 100+ octane.

With 3" DP, good exhaust setup, better IC, 5 more psi, and good fuel.....you will be going :eek:

When my first GN was stock it ran 13.90's @ 100 mph. Basically same mods as above....it ran 12.90's @ 105 mph.

If you decide to go with a bigger turbo.....look at a TA-49, PT-51, or TE-44. Go ahead and go with some MSD 50# injectors so you have room to grow.

Thanks for the tips... :biggrin:

The car has an Applied Technologies intake (BIG cone filter) that I took the plastic cover off... Already have exhaust with no cat.

Yes, still stock boost.... Right down to the unmolested actuator rod.

The DP is a must and was highly recommended by a few of our members... so we may try and buy 2 and split shipping. (Shipping to Hawaii SUX)

Good to know the plan in my head is close to what I need... now to break open my piggy bank and order more goodies... :cool: