Turbo Upgrade help

bigz

I'm thinking about upgrading my current TA49 to something bigger. I will be replacing my blue top injectors with 50's. I plan on running this primarily on the street with alcohol injection with the occasional trip to the track. I have a stock 93,000 mile motor with stock heads, a vigilante 3400 stall converter, stretched intercooler and THDP any suggestions on what a good upgrade would be?

Mike

A good upgrade would be to just turn the boost up and tune that 49 in and save your money! That is about the best all around compromise turbo out there. It will go bottom 11's with a supporting cast in the 25 PSI range. I think a couple have even been 10.9's with it. Well suited to the 50's also.

A nice upgrade would be a T63E but you would be pushing the 50's for sure. Any more turbo than that and you may not like it with a 3400 stall.

IMO,
That converter is way loose for a TA-49. I say you already have the converter, so step up to a bigger turbo instead of getting the converter restalled. A PT-54 or TE-60 should spool real nice with that kind of stall and shouldn't be too hard on a stock motor.

Agree w/ Intercooler!
The T63E would be a good turbo to think about.

Jason

What do you guys think about the TA-54? They seem to be pretty reasonably priced from PTE. How difficult is it to switch from a TA turbo to a TE type? Thanks for any input.

Mike

The only problem you should have might be your MAF pipe length. The only difference between the TA/TE series should be the inlet bell. The TA series is stock appearing where the inlet bell it is a bolt on piece. TE series, the inlet bell is part of the compressor housing. There is a picture on GNttype.org, but I can't seem to find it right now. Maybe someone else will remember where its at.

I would go with the TE-54 I have it on my dads car and it just went 7.43 with a 1.57 on a stock unopened 80k mile motor and xylene. It is a little laggy with his 2,800 stall but with a 3,400 it should be just right.