Turbo swap on hot air?

V SICKS

I thought I read somewhere that you could take a stock 86-87 turbo and bolt it right into the housing and rotate it forward and set up an intercooler.. Is it true?? THANKS..mike

You cannot bolt on an 86/87 turbo onto a hot air. The answer is a custom setup which is expensive. The other alternative is a TA33c turbo (86/87 compressor wheel in a 84/84 housing) which is expensive as well. Good luck. Brad

I thought I read somewhere that you could take a stock 86-87 turbo and bolt it right into the housing and rotate it forward and set up an intercooler.. Is it true?? THANKS..mike

If I reading your post correct, you want to us a 86-87 turbo on a HOT AIR with a intercooler. You can use a 86-87 Turbo and rotate it in the stock location with a 86 intake or still using the 86 intake, rotate the turbo at a angle forward. Using the Hot Air intake will require the 86-87 turbo forward and using a adapter like used in Spearco kits. Look in the Intake posted in this Hot Air forum. I did post pictures.

Yes... I want to use the bigger 86-87 turbo for more output in the stock 84-85 housing... clock it to the front and then come back to the hot air intake input place... Chuck, are you saying it will physically fit in the hot air housing??? First reply says it will not... and I SURE don't know but have the engine out and buying parts to rebuild it now.. Would like to have more turbo air but can't afford to spend big bucks for a turbo with the rebuild and don't want to have to tear it apart later if I can help it.. THANKS ..mike

You could just use a 86/87 turbo. 86/87 turbo would be a good upgrade. Your going to need bigger fuel pump, hotwire kit, and adj. fuel regulator. A adj. wastegate would be a good idea too.
You can reclock any turbo forward and run an intercooler with the stock intake.....(unless you go real big, then you would have hood clearance issues).......just need the elbow adapter for the intercooler piping to intake and shave some of the fins off the top of the intake so the turbo fits nicely reclocked.
If you got a small budget then get your intercooler and piping first(used kit). You will then be able to run more boost with your stock turbo........that will be enough extra air to satisfy you for awhile.
-Nick.

You can use a 86/87 stock style (TA) turbo on a hotair intake without an IC. We put a TA-60 on my friend's old 85 T-Type; it fit o.k. but the wastegate did rub the hood pad a little.

Sweet! Here's a dumb question. What kind of advantage would it be on my car to run an 86-87 turbo? Would the turbo be able to "work" less to produce the same about of power? I'm still kinda new to this turbo stuff. :eek:

Its definatly an improvement over the stock hot air turbo. It should produce more boost with less heat, just how much is hard to say(2 or 3 lbs of boost more....20-30hp?). What kind of boost levels are you currently running with your Spearco out front? I remember my stock hot air turbo would push 18# of boost with the Spearco out front on 93 octane(14.05 in 1/4mile). I never tried the 86/87 turbo, I jumped past it to a TA-49 which is suppose to be slightly better then the stock 86/87. The TA-49 was a huge improvement(that was with 40# inj.), so 86/87 should complement and take advantage of that cool air your Spearco is producing. Just remember if you go bigger then a 86/87 turbo then fuel injectors are recommended. 86/87 guys are running their stock turbo into the 11's......you will see a gain. -Nick.

My car currently runs at 12 psi of boost. I didn't have my new Walbro when I was driving it in the fall, so I never tried cranking the boost up anymore. What other mods did you have when you ran 14.05? My goal is to break a 13.99 with this car.

I had the Spearco intercooler, bigger fuel pump without hotwire, adj. fuel regulator & adj. wastegate, high flow cat, kenne bell cat-back with dyno max mufflers, k&n cone filter, 160* t-stat, old kenne bell chip(very outdated now days), knock gauge & boost gauge & fuel pressure gauge. If your on a budget and need something beside those three to help tune your car in a little better...the OTC 2000 is cheap!
Everything else was STOCK: motor, heads, intake, TB, open 3.42 rear end, size tires, tranny, convertor, downpipe, uppipe, radiator, belt fan.
If you take her to the track the electric fans upgrade would be very helpful to cooler her off fast and get back to racing. My car would run hot until I put the F-body radiator and electric fans in it, much nicer to drive when your not worrying about that spearco cutting off the stock radiator. If I got caught in traffic my car would almost overheat. Pick a nice cool night or try running some race gas and crank your boost up at the track....just watch your 02 volts and knock. 13's shouldn't be hard with your spearco and the basic bolt ons. If I would have had posi and better tires it could have been better.

Hey guys,

What's up??? Haven't been on here for a while.

To add something to this discussion, when my 85 was completely stock, with nothing but a Walbro fuel pump, an adj fuel reg, and an adj. wastegate, I cranked out a 14.08 @ 98 with a 2.08 60ft on street tires. That was with a 86-87 ecm, running a Jay Carter 86-87 street chip on race gas with the boost cranked up to somewhere around 20-22#, don't exactly know how much, boost gauge only went to 20# !!!! :eek: All hotair at the time...

So, yeah, 13's are definately possible!!! But probably not on 92-93 octane though...

1Quick85 is right, though, Just watch the knock and keep an eye on the O2 volts...

mine stock hot air ran 14.04

my hot air ran a 14.04, all stock on drag radials and race fuel. i bumped the boost up to 18 ran 110 fuel and forgot to lock up the converter. i have airbags in the rear springs too. i am running it ac/heater delete. coolant lines to the throttle body blocked off. also the up pipe has many many leaks in it!!!! I ran a 13.89 also using a friends cold air kit. the ricer i was racing had a turbo also and he talked a bunch of smack cause my ride was in need of paint and my motor looks like crap!! i plan on going with bigger blue top injectors, cold air kit, alky injection, turbo tweak chip, and an adjustable fuel regulator. should have it in the low 13 high 12's then. good thing i have norwalk raceway park just down the road!!! drop me a line if you want the link to the 14.04 pass, i am still to new here to post a video yet!!

If you get a hot air in the 18 to 20 lbs. of boost area...(weather its with intercooler, alky, or race gas)....it should be right on the border of 13s. Good times guys!! Post a link to your run.......always fun to see a hot air at work......especially since I don't have mine anymore...-Nick.

Hot Air Kill Against A Ricer

HOPE THIS WORKS!!!AFTER MY RUN IT SHOWS MY FRIENDS MOTOR IN A QUICK FLASH AND THEN MY DAUGHTERS BOYFRIEND RUNNING HIS FORD ANAL PROBE