Turbo Regal Reign comming to an end?

I don’t think the cars have gotten faster. Honestly my buddy was running 9.50s in 1993. He drove that car everywhere. Yes it was a dutwiller stage 2 motor
the 109s have ;)the stage cars your pretty dead on. i believe they really cant go that much faster.2 of my friends ran mid 7s back in day on stage 2 motors in race cars you really dont see much better than that today.

If you are running a TR that runs slower than mid-11s you are going to find yourself out-gunned real quick nowadays.
This was the point to my post , years ago you didnt have cars coming out of the showroom this fast,an 11 sec TR was a second and a half faster then everything. this thread doesnt apply to the 10s and faster. 80% of the common bolt-on tr owners are in the 11s.

I agree with the OP with lightly modified Buicks, but that said, it doesn't take much to compete with these cars either. It is very easy to build a moderate setup on a drag radial with pump gas and alky that would be hard to beat. A good running and tuned 10.50 - 10.70 Buick will drown a lot of cars out there pretty easily. Back in the day we thought we had the heaviest car out there when competing against the foxbody Mustangs and Vettes. Now these cars are coming out of the factory weighing well over 4,000 pounds without driver which gives us a huge advantage from the dig. Our cars were never designed to play on the hwy, so they can take that title, but on the street a lot of guys that can afford to buy these new cars, have no car savy what so ever and don't know how to drive them. Point being, you don't need a race car to whip their ass. A daily cruiser with all the creature comforts at full weight with AC and the right parts will still rule the street in most cases.
I on the other hand am the exception to the rule, and instills the same fear the OP suggests in the opposite. They are left pissed, discouraged, angered and embarrassed.... motorcycles included.

My points exactly. I went thru some old pics the other day and my son noticed how many pics that there were of my cars on jack stands with the engine on a lift or a trans sitting beside it. I told him that I had changed head gaskets about 20 times on the car. Played with NOS once or twice. Swapped transmissions from a 350 to a 200 back to the 350. Twisted the driveshaft once, broke a universal once. Popped the up pipe clamps to the point where they tried to go thru the hood. Had the turbo rebuilt from a TE63 to a 66, tried a PT72, went back to the 66, all on the same car. One thing that I have always admired about our cars is that even tho every GN may be black on the outside, you will never see two engines the exact same. We can even run the exact same combo and one will be faster than the other. What worked on the east coast may have been tried on the west coast and they called it junk. Current ttop combo TE66 ( .85 a/r) ( Reed rebuilt when he was at Turbo Specialties maybe around 2002), ESP front mount, ESP cam ( 2nd cam, wiped some lobes back in 2000, same profile), ESP in car fuel pressure regulator, DIrect Scan, Caspers Knock Gauge, Ported irons, 62mm throttle body, Stock MAF, stock o2, stock manifolds, Turbo 350 , Rev Max converter, Stock block ( new bearings), crank, rods, pistons ( new rings), stock main caps, S10 rear brake cylinders, old school SSM bars, 3.42 gears in a stock rear with welded tubes, Precision 4d4d chip, 83 lb injectors, Twin delta gates, BOV, Turbonetics boost control ( in car), on 295/50/15 DIRT track American Racer D.O.T. ( old McCreary) tires and that my friends has netted me the fastest time of 6.69 in the 1/8 on my full weight A/C daily ( down for restoration). Race gas at the pump. PS. I was able to hold a little more boost spooling the car up with 15x6 rims than I did with 15x3 1/2. Is it the fastest, heck no, but if you plan to run it on the street with street tires, your car better be able to hook-n-book. Trust me there are plenty more options in the garage to pick from.

Old school pics
6206E871-8627-4A84-96BD-308210AED5A9.jpeg
F50E7C39-54E0-4D67-B01E-A88C526DAB82.jpeg

The one thing I will say is with all these great ecms , turbos, converters, great engine builders, master tuners, etc. I don’t think the cars have gotten faster. Honestly my buddy was running 9.50s in 1993. He drove that car everywhere. Yes it was a dutwiller stage 2 motor but honestly with all the great tech now there are guys with ta motors and stage 2 motors that aren’t even running that fast now. I’m sure he would have went faster if Job sr from turbo people didn’t hold him back. Car was a true beast on the street. Ripping nitrous big blocks , etc. I honestly never seen a car do what that Buick did on the street. If your from NY and from that era you know the car. People were running 10s in the 90s with stock computer, junk turbos and old converter tech , why aren’t guys going much faster if any at all now?

They are going faster. Today's mentality is more about trap speed nowadays though, it embellishes the power. A 125 to 135mph trap isn't considered fast anymore (though fast enough to win races). The turbo DOHC guys are running 10's and 9's at 140+mph without even breaking a sweat, even the Honda guys. Roll racing seems to be the norm lately even at the tracks. Dig racing is not as popular as it once was to the newer guys. Even street racing, most guys I know from Brooklyn and Queens head right to the highway for a 50 - 160 blast. They do this because it is easy clean up, and an easier getaway if need be. No need to waste time setting up a 1/4 mile location, lie in wait, then get busted. Too old school. Though your buddies car was a solid car back in the '93 (I don't remember it, there were so many cars racing in and around NYC back then), it would honestly get raped on the highway or a roll run at the track with today's cars. I'll give you an example, my cousin ran an Iroc in NYC during the same time as your buddy, with a 425 Oldsmobile that he built. Car raped a Lambo by the toll coming back from Rockaway Beach late one night, Iroc was an easy nine second car. But today? Heh, a UGR Lambo would destroy it. Hell, even today's Honda's would beat it. I mean yes, whoever gets there first wins the race, but everyone here knows that whoever traps higher has the faster car, and that's all anyone even bothers to look at anymore. Unless your a fan of Street Outlaws, of course. My two cents...

Carry on gentleman. :)

- Rob

Today's mentality is more about trap speed nowadays though, it embellishes the power.
hmm i dont see that much at all,heck alot of guys are running the 1/8 of 1000ft more now than ever.there are more guys getting trying to get cars down the road with power management and the small tire cars with the right chassis are faster for sure ow.as a matter of fact all the money racing i see is done on a minimally prepped road with the sites moving around.one thing for sure is everything makes power now or goes fast.its not just power to weight ratio but more power management and driver.its all about the flashlight and crack of the tire and how long your allowed to keep a guy waiting on the transbreak thesedays ;)

They are going faster. Today's mentality is more about trap speed nowadays though, it embellishes the power. A 125 to 135mph trap isn't considered fast anymore (though fast enough to win races). The turbo DOHC guys are running 10's and 9's at 140+mph without even breaking a sweat, even the Honda guys. Roll racing seems to be the norm lately even at the tracks. Dig racing is not as popular as it once was to the newer guys. Even street racing, most guys I know from Brooklyn and Queens head right to the highway for a 50 - 160 blast. They do this because it is easy clean up, and an easier getaway if need be. No need to waste time setting up a 1/4 mile location, lie in wait, then get busted. Too old school. Though your buddies car was a solid car back in the '93 (I don't remember it, there were so many cars racing in and around NYC back then), it would honestly get raped on the highway or a roll run at the track with today's cars. I'll give you an example, my cousin ran an Iroc in NYC during the same time as your buddy, with a 425 Oldsmobile that he built. Car raped a Lambo by the toll coming back from Rockaway Beach late one night, Iroc was an easy nine second car. But today? Heh, a UGR Lambo would destroy it. Hell, even today's Honda's would beat it. I mean yes, whoever gets there first wins the race, but everyone here knows that whoever traps higher has the faster car, and that's all anyone even bothers to look at anymore. Unless your a fan of Street Outlaws, of course. My two cents...

- Rob
Oh. Now I get it.

So this is the reason for the Ghetto Ricer Fly-By!

you didnt have cars coming out of the showroom this fast,
they are faster for sure thesedays,they are heavy with alot of power,but really cant utilize that well on the street unprepped untill the car is rolling.a mild tr racing the newer showroom stuff would need to be setup to leave hard and setup the gap on the newer stuff,ive seen 10 sec track cars lose to 11 sec street cars even through the 1/4 mile but in my opinion the newer stuff is going to cutting that gap quickly and will come around a mild bolt on buick around 100/110mph range.there also is nothing cheap about this new showroom stuff though and a much faster car can be built for alot less.to me they are not bargains but very pricey 10/11 sec cars.

That’s what I’m talking about. My street car is optimized to run on the street with street tires. I took that car out and did hundreds of power brake launches to see what I could hit it with. Wider set of tires on the fronts of my 15x6 convo pros helped me hold a little bit more boost with the S10 cylinders.

My son took my grand national to the track yesterday, it is a true street car which i drive all the time. He ran 9.20 @ 149 first pass. Second pass he ran to the 1/8 5.81 @ 121 there isn't alot of modern cars that can run with that. We took the slicks off and back to street trim when built right our cars and hang in there.

- Rob

I believe 109s been running 8s since late 90s early 2000s. Not much has changed since with all the great tech. Believe me there are guys who been running fast for years and don’t post up on the forums. You mention 9 sec civics. I have seen plenty of 9 and 8 sec civics on the streets and they don’t even come close to there times on the street. Only way they work if they have a all wheel drive conversion. When was the last time you seen a ugr lambo on the street, I have never? The point is no matter how fast you are there’s always someone faster but the reality is a Buick runing 10s is no slouch and not many cars from the factory are gonna run that on the street. My buddy name is Sarge and if your from Westchester or Bronx area you know his Buick . Did a lot of street racing from the Conduit to the hutch till there was no more hustle cause Buick’s got respect from that point on. The guy who was out there before him took a lot of wins was a guy named Raul he had a Buick with quarter pounder on the side. That car was no joke.

My son took my grand national to the track yesterday, it is a true street car which i drive all the time. He ran 9.20 @ 149 first pass. Second pass he ran to the 1/8 5.81 @ 121 there isn't alot of modern cars that can run with that. We took the slicks off and back to street trim when built right our cars and hang in there.
pictures. we need pictures!!! :)

their cars cant hook;)

True, but there is no denying their power though. Many an older 4 cam 32 valve LT5 C4 hooked pretty damn good back in the day, and the top end felt like it lasted forever. Couple that with twin turbo's and it was essentially game over. I think most of us were forced to play the hand that we were dealt, so single cam w/pushrods were made to go as fast as possible down low, to only defend them tooth and nail because we were used to them and they became apart of us. I think this is why everyone was so focused on hooking. With new and high end engines, a bad hook doesn't necessarily cost them the race. Man, I used to be the one throwing the DZ302 in everyone's faces when arguing with an Import enthusiast in terms of high revving. But seriously, they require constant maintenance. I spin my direct injection LGX up to 8000-RPM everyday on the highway, not one hiccup yet. But yes, car doesn't hook for anything...

By the way, Long Island needs a damn drag strip already. So tired of the politicians flirting with the idea, just get it done already. That is the only thing stopping us from moving back. I mention that because one, they started talking about it again, and two, you said you were from New York (unless that was V6Sleeper), so you yourself must be itching for that to happen just as much as the rest of us (if that was you)... ;)

- Rob