Turbo Q-Jet on a NA 4.1

79bird

I've been told on another thread (Hybrids) that using a Q-jet from a '79 Turbo Regal on my NA 4.1 wouldn't work. The calibration would be off. Does someone here know what I would have to do to make it work? Change the jets, metering rods, something else? Would it run too rich?:confused: I looked on car-part.com just now and found a local yard, 31 miles, with a Q-jet from an NA Electra. Would it be better to go with that?

The way the power valve is done is the issue. The NA has an open bottom and if you look under the fuel inlet on the turbo carb you'll see a tube. That's the signal for the power valve. You need to have a vac line to some sort of vac signal to make it work but it would be easier to get an NA carb and sell the turbo carb. Here's a few pics so you get a better idea.:smile:

Attachments

• DSCN0003.jpg
    DSCN0003.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCN0008.jpg
    DSCN0008.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN0009.jpg
    DSCN0009.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCN0010.jpg
    DSCN0010.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCN0011.jpg
    DSCN0011.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 152
Thanks for the pics Charlie, I'll go out and look at the carb today after I sleep tonight. Worked 7am to 7pm today and still up. I expect I'll see the tube you showed me. Thanks again, I'll post with the results. I can get the NA carb if they still have it for $75.

Turbo Q-Jet???

Here's the number off the carb., 17059243, under that, 0419 CKD. And some pics. I don't see the passage you outlined on the turbo carb, Did I luck out? Is this an NA carb? Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• Q-jet bottom.jpg
    Q-jet bottom.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 123
  • Q-Jet front.jpg
    Q-Jet front.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 129
That's a turbo carb alright. Look at the first pic and you'll see the tube right under the fuel inlet. That's where the power valve hooks up to vacuum. It's suposed to go to the PEVR valve on the early turbo system. It's also one of the harder ones to find so it's worth more. Throw it on evilbay or sell it on the board.

Here's the number off the carb., 17059243, under that, 0419 CKD. And some pics. I don't see the passage you outlined on the turbo carb, Did I luck out? Is this an NA carb? Thanks for all the help.

thats not a na carb its a turbo carb. btw do you have the pevr i have been looking for one.

Turbo Carb

So, tube bad, no tube good. Thanks for clearing my confusion. I'm going to look into getting the one at the local yard. It's supposed to be off an Electra so it will be an NA carb. What's an reasonable value on the Turbo carb, It only had around 3,000 miles on a quality rebuild according to the guy I bought it from. That's why it looks so clean. At least I found out here and not the hard way when it wouldn't run right.:eek: On a side note; Could I take the bottom plate off, locate the proper passage and drill out the power valve hole and plug the external tap?

No, please don't riun it. You can take a vacuum line and run it to manifold vacuum if you want to use it.

Relax, I'm not going to ruin it. I just wanted to know if there's an alternative to be able to use it. One more vacuum line won't hurt. I WILL look into getting the NA one from the local yard because I'm sure someone here could use this one for their turbo project.

Relax, I'm not going to ruin it. I just wanted to know if there's an alternative to be able to use it. One more vacuum line won't hurt. I WILL look into getting the NA one from the local yard because I'm sure someone here could use this one for their turbo project.

there are people who need one. i think jase (flintbuickforlife) needs one.

Q-Jet for sale

I just posted the Q-Jet in the for sale section. Not sure of the value But it's listed for $150. I'll use the money and get the NA Carb locally.

Posting pics

Tried to post pictures in the gallery and a message popped up stating that an error occured when trying to create a folder. Plus this is at the top of the screen.
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/includes/functions_gallery.php on line 1067
:confused:
I got a folder started through the user CP

I would just go to the members section and start a thread. Posting them on a thread is much easier. I haven't even bothered on posting pics on my user cp yet and I've been a member for a while.

To post a pic click on "post reply" and wait until the page fully loads. Page down and you'll see "manage attachments" and click on it. This will let you load from your puter or URL like photo bucket.

I use Imageshack... its a little more time consuming than attaching photos, but you can adjust the size to what you want.

pics posted

Pics are posted in the gallery, look for my handle, 79bird, where all the names are put.