Turbo Pistons what brand is best

buickgirl68

fast buick
Machine shop said federal mobil or silver light turbo pistons is what that offer. one of these ok or should i go with something else? i am going to run 25 pounds of boost with alky

TRWs with lightweight pins( good stock replacement) , JE$$$, Diamond$$$, Weisco$$$, & CP$$$, Havent ever heard anything good about silverlites.

Have been very happy with my TRW .030 stock replacements. Very strong casting, a little on the heavy side though. I'm running 25psi, 93+alky.

If you wanna spend the big money then go with the others suggested above.

You mean Silvo-lites? A very old brand but I don't think any one uses them except for restos now.

Do you know Quick6'n'KC or turbov6joe??? I'm sure they could help you a lot on the local machine shops to have a turbo motor done. I know they used(and may still be using) K&M out near KCIR. Get in touch with one of them.

Unless the shop you're using knows the particulars of doing one of these GN/TR motors, and/or you can provide them with the specs and if they actually listen to you about the clearances, then I would be leery about having them do it. Even suggesting using Silvo-Lites is throwing up a red flag, IMO...

Don't go any more than .030 oversize on the bores...

Federal Mogul and TRW are the same now.
The TRW/Federal Mogul power forged pistons are a great value for the quality of the piston.
Just might want to get lighter pins and a rebalance job while your in there.
Don't let these rebuilders do a chevy rebuild; make sure they stick to Buick clearance specs and tell'em I said so....:mad: :biggrin:

What brand has the lightning bolt logo stamped on top? Don't want to hijack, but while everyone has pistons on their mind..........

Steve

Thanks, I thought Speed-Pro sounded right. Didn't know they were all the same now. Do you know when they merged together, it might help me date my engine build.

Steve

Use the Speed-Pro / Federal Mogul part # L2481F pistons. They are serving me well. +2 on the lightweight wrist pins. It really knocks the total weight back down to a repectable number.

They merged quite a few years ago. I don't remember exactly when though... :rolleyes: