Turbo is leaking oil into exhaust...Rebuild time?

twinrats

Turbo Lover
Just put a fresh engine back in car after blowing up last motor....now blows heavy smoke out exhaust sometimes :confused: ...other times no smoke :) . I'm expecting to find oil on exhaust side of turbo only. Turbo (te45a Q-Trim) itself only has a few thousand miles in it (5500) and shaft has almost 0 play in it...still feels new. Seems like it should not need a complete rebuild. Is the anything that can be done beside a "complete rebuild"?

John Craig wants $350 to rebuild...is this the going rate? Does anyone use anybody else that's good?

Thanks for your help!

Most likley its just oil blowing past the turbo oil seal. Last time I wanted a rebuild on a TE-45 it was giong to be $750. That included making it a 66mm TE-45A.

1- $350 sounds right for a center section rebuild of an older turbo like that.
2- Just do it. Why sling oil through a new motor unnecessarily? You'll eventually throw off the o2s, gunk up valves, and if you haven't already start throwing off MAF readings. That MAF filament doesn't like collecting stuff on it.

No, I have the stock pipe...and I reinstalled the old stock turbo and the smoke is gone....also, just ordered a new 66mm BB turbo from Jack Cotton!!