Turbo Ford guy wanting to learn more about GNs, T-types, etc.

Notch_n_ator

Howdy,
I just rode in a co-workers GN for the first time and all I can think of is "torque." Who would ever know that "just a 6" could hurt your neck so much! :eek:

So anyway, I'm wanting to learn more about them and maybe buy one in the next few years since gas mileage isn't too bad.

Here are a few questions: Do the engines have 5 bolts per cyl. like V8 Chevy engines? Mustangs w/ turbos blow headgaskets easily (it's not TOO bad, but it is annoying).

The stock compression is 7:1, right? They ride around quite well and certainly aren't "dogs" even with such low compression.

Also, how much $ are parts usually? Like crank, rods, pistons, and how much HP can the block handle? Stock 302 blocks can take about 550ish before they become ticking bombs.

My car project is a 1990 Mustang 5.0 notchback, self-made twin turbo kit using two 60/63 turbos, blow thru carb w/ ProForm mainbody, EV hat, etc and some other stuff.

Thanks for your help! I'm a GN NuB, I know :D

Well, I have a turbo buick and a turbo mustang. The buicks are equally bad as far as head gaskets go, only 8 bolts per side. The blocks take about the same abuse as a 302 block, but we do have girdles (that work) and steel main caps. There are always freaks on both sides, some have made 800 or so hp with both motors, you know as well as I its a gamble at that point. My mustang makes 475 horse and 600 torque at the wheels on pump gas, with nothing but the turbo kit and supporting fuel upgrades, my buick took a lot more $$$ to reach that point.

The thing with the GN is its worth waaaay more than a mustang, is still going up in value, and is rare and different.

Bottom line, you will go faster in the stang for a lot less money, plus the aftermarket is much more supportive. But, if you like pulling into the local cruise or car show and not having the same car as 20 other guys, the GN is nice.

lets see,

1. 4 bolts per cylinder (unless its a stage 2 then its six)and yes easy to blow headgaskets.

2. 8:1 compression

3. Everything seems to cost a grand.Usually not less than $250 for most parts,lets put it that way.

4. Stock block without a girdle can usually handle around 650crank hp (550 RWHP),with a girdle a stock block can handle 750-800 with a good forged or billet crank.

5. There isn't much that you can get for our cars at autozone,most performance shops will also just give you a stupid look if you go there looking for parts.We almost always have to go through a GN specific vendor.

Hope this explains some of the Turbo buick world to you.

I'm contemplating a 2.3 turbo Mustang or a Buick GN just for something to ride around in. Several guys put turbocoupe 2.3 engines in 4 cyl. Mustangs and wire it up and throw on a turbo. The engine is usually around $300 and can handle some boost and the block itself can take more than a 302 ;) :p

As for the GNs, they are very nice cars, and as someone already mentioned, retain value, or rather, increase in worth. I'm only 21 so I don't have that much experience with stuff yet.

Thanks again!

The 2.3L SVO mustang engines are hard core, truly a marvelous piece of engineering and implementation thereof. I've heard of people going low 12s in a 'stang with mild weight reduction. Then again, they also ported everything and an HX-35. :D Truly a badass ride. I wouldn' even consider 3.8 Ford, it's supposedly a knockoff of the Buick motor and a bad one at that. (people here bitch about the GNs losing head gaskets) Either the GN or a 2.3 SVO is an excellent choice in my book, GN's definitely more money but it's also a car that's not going down in value either. Then again if you're looking for a beater that's fun, go dig up a turbo K-car. I was IRCing with some guy today that has a chance to buy a turbo caravan, lucky bastard. Always wanted one.

You mean the k-car, as in the one that I saw a vid. of beating a Supra? lol ;)

I would just like to say, the hideous look of a k-car greatly outweighs any chance of it every rolling into my garage or driveway :p

Do a search about a guy named Joe Morgan.He built this bad a$$ pinto with a turbo 2.3 and mostly stock parts.I beleive the cam even came from a junk yard ranger pickup.He was going 10s in the 1/4 with it.A real sleeper.I have the article on it with the whole buildup somewhere from Hot Rod.