turbo for 5.3

Super6

i am wanting to go to at least a single pt88 with probably a 4 bolt flange...i am wanting to know if i can spool a pt88 with the 5.3 and what size exhaust housing i should go with..i will be putting rod bolts and regapping the top rings..i will probably get a turbo cam from Ed Curtis with head studs but other than that it will be mostly stock..i have a PTC torque converter so i hope Dusty will tell me he can spool an pt88 on a 5.3.thanks for any info...........Bob

A 5.3 will spool a 88 no problem. Dusty will hook you up with the converter if it needs to be changed. Good choice on engines, we are going to be working on a low dollar 5.3 project over the winter and putting it on the rollers to see how much HP it will make.

The .96 housing will work fine for starters.

Thanks for the info..i just want to get my feet wet on this one...i got $400 in the 5.3 i have with 46k on it..i would rather fry it than a fresh built high dollar engine if i have any growing pains..hopefully i will get to see just what i can get out of it...i am looking for close to 800rwhp though..we will see..........Bob

Put a .96 a/r on it and you'll be fine. The turbo will spool with a 9.5 converter. I'm guessing your going to shift it at 6,500 or under? I'm assuming your shooting for 8's since you using the 88mm?

Yes Dusty i want to keep the rpms down, i have your 9.5 behind the 3.8 now and yes 8's would be great..as soon as the 6cyl comes out i'll give you a holler and let you work your magic on the converter..i have to make my own headers so that's gonna take me some time..thanks for the help......Bob

i am looking at a pt4788 but it has a t6 .96 housing ..could i get away with a t6 exhaust housing? thanks Bob

I thought you may have had an 88mm already. If your just wanting to crack into the 8's I'd be shopping for something smaller like a 45/76 or 47/80mm. With the lower rpm range your wanting to run within the combo will spool faster and run harder on the front half of the track if you keep the turbo on the smaller side. It's just like the V6. If you put a 70mm on a stock cam GN it's gonna be sluggish down low and have to shift to early to make the combo happy.

that makes sense Dusty...i want to go as fast as the stock short block will let me..i am sure keeping the rpm's down will help it live longer...thanks for the help.......Bob

Did you see the new carcraft magazine?they took what they thought was a 5.3 and turboed it, ported stock heads, lsxr intake, and a better cam, stock bottom end,made 1200 hp and they were trying to blow it up to see what would fail nothing did and they made like 60pulls over 1000 hp. Turns out it was only a 4.8 litre

good article october 2011 issue

Yes i seen that article..very interesting to say the least..i have been doing some research for sometime now...i am torn to get this 5.3 bored out to a 347 with a good set of rods and pistons..i will be using the stock crank( it is steel) and getting the mains pinned if i do go for it...the machine wants a grand to do it but extra for pinning the mains..i am just tired of being limited..i want to throw some boost at it.......Bob

Y
Ok so I walk into the walmart and its not in the best area, grab carcrap oct 2011 and waste over $6. And no article..........can someone veryfiy the issue and maybe post a pic of the cover, and I take paypal for my $6 back :))

for anyone wanted to do one of these 5.3's Wiseco makes a forged piston..standard bore and a .020 oversize bore...if you use these pistons you will have to run something like a 317 (71cc) head if you stay with a production head to get the compression down some..this is what i am planning to use until i can afford some AFR's..so i am going with the Wiseco pistons and K1 rods.i am going to use the stock crank with main studs...unless there is something wrong with the crank..i want to be able to spin the motor up to 7k and really want to get an 88 on it......Bob

OK, I'm gonna put my .02 in here real fast since I have been boosting the 5.3 in a GN for almost 2 years now.

If you have a BONE stock 5.3, and want to keep your stock rotating assmebly, You are gonna max out at around 800. anything after that is just rolling the dice. the one in carcaft magazine seemed to be a freak motor, Not ot mention it didnt undergo the stress of an antual street/quarter pull at all. engine Dyno pulls are alot less stressful on the engine than a true tires to the road yank.

IF you would like to keep your bottom and and have RELIABLE HP, you need to do a few things. Change your Rod bolts to something like ARP bolts, Head STUDS (not just bolts) Cometic MLS head gaskets, throw a set of 317 heads on the 5.3 (lowers the CR to push more boost) and a good turbo cam. I'm running a masterpower t76 on my setup with an LS6 cam and made 545 to the tire on a very conservitive tune and 15#. ALSO make sure you swap the oil pump out for a ported melling or even a ZO6 stock pump. You dont really have to pin the mains or even bore the motor out to get these numbers. Lastly, make sure you have somthing like a 60mm wastegate to prevent boost creep. one good boost spike is all its gona take to fry this engine....ask me how I know :(

Super6, your idea of putting some forged rods and pistons in it is a good idea, as I'm doing the same with mine now. BUT like i said, stock internals can hold a good amount, you just gotta know what to do to prevent it from exploding ;)

thanks Stroker-ace

good advice is great:)...i am very detailed when it comes to the tune but i do plan to lean on it hard..i just bought some 317 heads and plan on getting the patriot golds with a turbo spec cam...head studs and i am thinking about ls9 head gaskets or cometics..i am taking the block to the machine shop for a line hone and i am going to pin the caps..probably don't need to pin the caps but i am going to do it anyway for some added insurance..stock crank,k1 rods, and wiseco pistons i should be good with a good tune up...precision makes a nice 66mm waste gate and i will get a good oil pump..i am very excited about this build just got to get some time to get the ball rolling............Bob