Turbo Faliure

Alaskabuick

Hello all,

This is my first post on the board. I am on the v8 board under the same username.

Unfortunatly I am posting due to a major prolem I have just encountered.

I have just recently upgraded to Champion heads, 50 pounders and A pt 52. The set up has about 100 miles on it and 10 passes.

Today at the track I was making a pass and the car stubled so I let out of it. When I got the car back to the pits I heard some noise coming from the turbo inlet side. I took the inlet pipe off and found a piece of the turbo shaft with the nut on it laying in the pipe. I looked in at the impeller and just about fainted! Wasted! The nut and shaft did what you would think they would to to an impeller.

Why did this happen? I ran a te 34 on this car for 30k miles without a issue? The motor is stock block and has 50k on the car total.

Is this a common problem with certian turbos?

I installed new oil lines when I did the upgrade. I am familiar with this cars and have worked on mine for years, but not an expert.

Is this a result of bearing failure? Can it happen that quick?

This does not seem right to me?

The big problem now is not the Turbo but all the metal my motor just inhailed!

Very dissapointing after all the hard work and $$$ that has just went into this car. I just hope the motor is ok..

Looking for some wisdom.

Thank you

Dennis

Where did you get the turbo from? Its very common for PT51 and PT52 turbos from PTE to fail, but its usually the exhaust side that lets go. I broke 2 and you'll find alot of other people have too. I broke a compressor wheel on a different turbo and was lucky enough not to have to replace the whole center section. Call the vendor you bought it from and see what they are willing to do for you.

vendor

I would rather not disclose who is the vendor until I contact them next week. They have been alot of help to me and I have spent major bucks with them too.
I just want to solve the problem and not have it happen again.

All I can say is a brand new PT 52 just dissinigrated on my car and I am very dissapointed.

If this is a common failure should this not be disclosed when the turbo is sold to the customer?

It will be very difficult fo convince me to use one of these turbos again. This might of cost me the whole motor? I dont know till I tear is down?

When I went to the upgraded heads I was going to stick to the te 34 and that seemed to work well. When I was ordering my heads the vendor told me about all the new exciting turbos that are out now, so decided to go for it and upgrade.

Does anyone know a turbo out their that is comparabe that will not break?

I could just put my 34 back on? My goal was high 10s low 11's. Im sure this is our of reach for this turbo. I really want a turbo with quick spool for the street.

I am running a stock ecm, Champion Aluminum heads, 3000 stal 911 converter & Bruces strip billet tranny, stock rear, 50#, 70mm TB, ATR Headers, ATR double pumper.

Dennis

:confused: :confused:

Pte again ??

wonder where all the threads are about turbonetics or John craig turbo failures are :confused:

from what I just read sounds like the shaft broke ... If it is from pte then its your fault if its from someone else then it could have been a defective shaft

as far as a good turbo for you ...contact John Craig and get you a 61 turbo ...that should work killer with your combo and stay together

:cool:

Im betting it will spool as fast or faster than a pt-52

people dont realize how slow the 51 and 52 turbo's spool till they get something different

example my LT-70 turbo spooled about the same as a pt-51 did on my car...quick spool .. ha ..just another of their tricks to sell them

spool

Well, I never was impressed by the spool on the 52, took a long time.

Hit hard and pulled well, was happy untill the meltdown occured.

Has their been any problems with the 61's? I will not take a chance on another problematic turbo. No way, it has to be tried and true.

I originally was looking at a 62, supposed to be the new bad boy? But I wanted a quick spool up and already had a 3000 stahl. I could restall the converter but I really am getting burnt out on working on the car at this point. Just want to drive it and enjoy it, our summer will be over soon here in Alaska.

Dennis

I did plenty of reading and seems everone that has a 61 is happy with it .

hit the search at the top of the page and search te61 or te-61

just be sure to get one built by John Craig .

I believe Nick Micale and taffy on here are dealers for his turbo's and can get you a better deal than buying direct

with good heads and all you shouldnt have a problem with a 3000 stall 9-11

Re: spool

Originally posted by Alaskabuick
Just want to drive it and enjoy it, our summer will be over soon here in Alaska.

Dennis

Are you Dennis from Fairbanks, AK that has an 87 GN?

Mark Sorvoja
Eagle River, AK

HI Mark

Yes Mark it is me.

How you doing?

Still trying to get the ole girl to keep up with that wicked fast TTA that you have!

I still think you must have a nitrous bottle hid out somewhere, ha ha..

Was almost thier until yesterday when the turbo bit the dust.

Have you been running this year? This was my first time down in years.

My Dad now has a real nice WE4 with a 49 and some bolt ons. I think that is what you have? He really likes the 49.

Dennis

Tubo link

By the way Mark I finally stopped guessing and took your advice and got a turbo link. Has made things much easier for sure.

Thanks.

Dennis

Dennis,

A lot of things have changed since I spoke to you last. I have three kids now...ages 6, 2 and 3 months old.

Were you at AK Raceway Park on Saturday, I was there yesterday running my new combo...PT61 turbo with 60# fuel injectors. See my post in this forum...I have some tuning to do to figure it out.

Anyway got to go, the little one just woke up. If you have a chance give me a call at 240-3514.

Mark

Changes

Dang just when I thought I might catch you, you go and upgrade on me! ha ha..

Well things have changed for me too. Two little whipper snappers, 5 & 1 both boys.

Ill give you a call.

Dennis

Metal in Motor?

Any Advice on what to do now?

Should I pull the heads?

Their are some big chunks out of the impeller that scare me.

Would the Intercooler catch any of these larger chunks? I was thinking I would at least pull the intake and make sure their are not any large pieces setting on top of a valve.

Is my intercooler junk now? Can it be cleaned or blown out?

I am running a older Bowling Geen customs intercooler & 1/2 stock location.

Not sure where to start?

Dennis

pull the intercooler, odds are there are metal bits in it. it's possible the smaller ones could've been sucked up higher, depends on whether you want to risk it. talk to gnfanatic about it, he recently lunched a turbo on the compressor side.

Stop running that turbo for sure right now!!

You can do a compression test to see if the bits of the blades messed up the valves. If everything is cool, I would not worry about the blades.

You either need to get that turbo rebuilt, or get a new turbo.

If you need something, let me know and I will try to help you out.:)

Blades

I have removed it and sent back to the supplier. I am going to look in the motor with a scope that a friend loaned me. Hopfully their is no damage.

The vendor has been very helpfull and is treating me well, so dont see a problem at this point as far as the Turbo goes.

Dennis

Your not gonna put a pt 52 back on there are you???If so,why??It seems they all do it(wheel failure),not if but when.

If you put a pt52 back on there itd be like flushing $$$$ down a toilet IMO.

I will definatly not put the PT 52 back on.

We are talking about a big shaft instead. I just want a tried and true turbo with decent spool and able to support a low 11's car.

Dennis