Turbo control center WTB

elk93001

Slow, original, rare
Since this part is only used on the early turbo cars, I'll post here.

Need the ESC Turbo controller box. I have not seen one on ebay and thought if someone sees one in a junkyard, has a spare etc.

Let me know

esc - YUK!!

you don't want it. throw it far away. get a normal even-fire V6 distributor - life is much better with out the ESC. and while your at it, throw out the boost enriched carb as well and replace it with an older 170 series Q-jet from and old buick or olds - pre-smog. that'll make life even better. if you have the budget, run an MSD 6A and a proper electric fuel pump like a Holley Blue pump. you'll never regret it.

I wouldn't run without one. If you are tuning right, it shouldn't be retarding timing at all.

Key, IMO, is to get some sort of knock gauge. What year is the motor? (maybe you could add a signature)

The car is a 78 2 bbl turbo which by its rarity, I would like to keep it mainly original.

I wouldn't run without one. If you are tuning right, it shouldn't be retarding timing at all.

the fewer variables, the easier the car is to tune. the OEM knock system is not reliable, in my opinion. have there been people that use them for 30 years? sure. But for simplicities sake, not using it makes the set up far more consistent, and it was easier to tune -i didn't question the system because it wasn't there - i was running 18 psi without it and running 13.6 at 101- same goes for the oem turbo q-jet-i think it's crap, i went faster when i put on an older Q-jet.

I' m not the smartest one here ,but I wish I had an ESC box . I threw mine away years ago. thinking that I could out smart Buick. My truck run's hot , won't wind out all the way . and in general I wish I still had it.

I have a 79 3.8 turbo 4V . It is in a 88 mitsu.Pup. It has no electronic controls at all . It also has a 3.90 gear. Set to run it gets hot and the exhaust , glows red . set back to drive , it won't rev. up and sucks gas. I hav e had this truck a long time . I love it but it is a constant pain. It will pull 5,000 pounds on a trailer , pretty quick .

when the turbine housing glows red, she's real lean- or you've been working it hard for extended periods of time - or both. it sounds like you've got a few things going on there that should be looked at. you need to 'baseline' you're tune up and go from there. Starting with putting a non-turbo HEI distributor and set the timing. i curve the dist so all the advance in at 3000, i set total timing to 29 - 31 degrees-depending on what gas and boost you run, but 30 is a good start (at 3000 rpm) with the vac advance OFF. hook up the vac adv and set the idle.

if it still runs like a dog then go through the carb. like i'd mentioned before, i got more power from an earlier pre-smog Qjet (68 - 72ish), BUT-the oem carb had better idle quality and was smoother in general, just not as fast.