turbo chevy in a g-body?

Originally posted by 86brick
Not to sh!t on your parade, but Chow's car has run 8.00 @175mph and is the fastest stock suspension G-body

I boxed my LCAs to run high 10's. I'm suprised the stockers are durable enough for 8's, would have thought they would bend up at that speed for sure. I'm not sure I would trust them personally but then again I don't need a stock suspension in the classes I run.

Dusty,

I'd love to see some pictures and talk to you about your progress..interested to see how you have to hack up the midplate to get a downpipe through. :) I have downpipes straight off of the turbos in front of the tires and am looking for short mufflers to put up there. Are you going to run a liquid IC in the car?

I have more than a casual thought that my car may wind up with 2 more cylinders eventually as well. Where's that middle finger icon for the purists? ;)

Dusty, sounds like you're making some nice progress. I'd be interested to get a look too.
How's Chad's turbo nova coming along?

Kendall, no wonder we get along (for the most part).
;)

Thanks guys.

Kendall, it ain't easy getting a 5 inch downpipe through the stock location and towards and full exhaust system. I have been getting some good info about frame notching from your website.

I am running a PTE 1800 liquid under the dash in the glovebox area.

Chad's nova is coming along slow due to some more cars being in the shop but it's still coming.

I'll have a digital camera after christmas so I'll try and get some pics to those that want to see them.

Originally posted by Dusty Bradford
Thanks guys.

Kendall, it ain't easy getting a 5 inch downpipe through the stock location and towards and full exhaust system. I have been getting some good info about frame notching from your website.

I am running a PTE 1800 liquid under the dash in the glovebox area.

Chad's nova is coming along slow due to some more cars being in the shop but it's still coming.

I'll have a digital camera after christmas so I'll try and get some pics to those that want to see them.

Dusty,

I have been asking for pictures for about a year.
Please don't forget me after christmas! =)

Originally posted by salvageV6
My car didn't come with a "stock suspension" Wolfe bar. :p

Just goes to show you about race classes and rules. ;)

Actually the Buick and Chevy are pretty much the same thing which is why you should use a Chebby body with a Chebby engine, kinda makes sense if you think about it. :)

I like all G bodies even more so if the original motor is still in the car.

No need to bother with turbo bodies for those kinds of projects in MHO. Obviously Dusty isn't. :cool:

Which is worth about .02.

Yeah, there really isn't any use butchering a T or a GN unless the motor's dead. Sell the thing (I'd give you a few bucks if I wasn't poor as hell) and go buy yourself a good NA Regal, then drop the bread in the motor.

turbo chevy engines

you must go to mustang turbo forum. they are not set up for ford only but also chevy and dodge forum is on the site also. pic of ls1 setup with a dual turbo and intercoolers. also a butt mounted turbo z24 2.8 5 speed running 98 to 103 1/4 mile with a wheel spinning 2.45 60 ft time at 7 psi. also alot of diy tech. great idea for open carbs turbo setup. junkyard t

www.turbomustangs.com is a great site.
I wish some people around these parts were as open minded.

This guy asked for help with a combination that he decided on for his own car. People should help or ignore his post. Getting into an almost Political/Religious Debate is not going to convince either side.

Well since he was only toying with the idea maybe we can get him off the fence and back into his car sanely.

Doesn't look like reading his first post he was decided on anything.

Also he doesn't want to be popular either so perhaps that's his real reason for posting in the first place?

Like a Turbo Buick site is gonna have tons of links to turbo Chevy motors on it that drop into Buicks.

Well most Buick sites wouldn't ... :rolleyes:

Here they're outstanding members. LOL

It's the lounge anyway perhaps he should have posted in Turbo Tech. :p

Or maybe the political forum. :)

Originally posted by John Wilde
www.turbomustangs.com is a great site.
I wish some people around these parts were as open minded.

This guy asked for help with a combination that he decided on for his own car. People should help or ignore his post. Getting into an almost Political/Religious Debate is not going to convince either side.

Woohoo, the "power 6" is now a religon! /ME bows to the 231 gods. It's about time one of these came along. :D It's all about how a person wants to go fast, I wanna do an SBC blow through setup and see what a stocker will take before I shrapnel it, but that's another rant and for another car. :D

The worse thing about doing the v8 will be the fabrication it takes on the headers,down pipe,and i/c and i/c pipping.If you cant do it your self it can get in your wallet. A friend has a turbo small block in his vette and we used a 4l80e and has held up well in the car.You can use the fast dfi to shift and lock the trans were ever you want.As fare as putting the small block in a turbo regal its your car do it.It will be a lot faster for the money than the v6.Its funny how they cut on you for putting the v8 in the regal and not putting the v6 in some thing else.Good luck with the car and here is a web site with some of our cars v8 and v6. www.twinturbovette.net

There are three things men don't talk about:politics,religion and women(betsy;my T). It seems everyone wants to talk about all three except what I originally posted for. Thank you Mr. Wilde and Dusty Bamford.
So unless you have info on turbocharging a 350 or want to buy this car from me,I dont want to hear it!

Oh,Vicious6 I live in N.C too,maybe you should come see first hand what type of BUTCHER job I did!:rolleyes: Until then Keep your comments on the topic.;)

Well I'm off to turbomustangs.com:cool:
What's the old saying:If you can't beat them join them?:eek:

Attachments

• 100_0507.jpg
    100_0507.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 584
Take a look at my signature for details about my car.

Let me know if I can answer any of your questions.

Ken

gund said:
Take a look at my signature for details about my car.

Let me know if I can answer any of your questions.

Ken

Ken,

Have you picked your car up from Brian's yet???
If so how soon until you get to the track?

Best regards,

I have been working on a TTSBC big tire car for a few years, looking like she will see the track next spring. I can say that you will get no love from many in the buick community even if you started with n/a car as I did. I figure that the technology and 99 percent of the car is the same, block is the only difference. everyone loves the sbc cars until one wants to run in a buick event. Many would rather see a mustang with a buick engine run rather than your buick with a small block. but there are many reasons to do a sbc car, money being the big one.
Grant

I think the difficulty of running a high horse stage motor is what thrills me. I am perfectly happy with only 1300-1500 horsepower. I personally would not do a sbc in a gn, however, it's not my car so who cares? If i was going to switch from stage motors in general, I would probably run a turboed mustang. It is way to easy to make big power (1800+) with a turbocharged v-8. I can do it reiliably and so can anyone else. I would argue the fact that running a v-8 is cheaper, because it isn't. You think you aren't going to break parts and transmissions and converters with turbo v-8? Look at what a good dart block or world products or anybody else charges and then tally up the rods, crank and everything else. I don't see the word cheap anywhere. It's all personal preferance, don't knock the next guy for doing what he likes, by the same token though, expect a little rib-rubbing when you come onto a buick board that's all about the turbo6. :)

see what i'm talkin about. but in defense, add up the difference in cranks, rods, rockers, heads, blocks and you have a staggering difference. Break a stage block on a weekend and your SOL for a while, do it in 10 years and you might be looking for another engine all together. I don't just plan on racing this year, but for many more to come, and with vendors dropping out of the buick market, what am i going to do in years to come. Many of us can barely buy the parts the first time, much less a 2nd. I love the buick 6 with all my heart, but i will never afford a stage engine. I built a stock block (full fill) 4340 crank, h-beam rods, aluminum heads (318 cfm@ .600 250cfm) @.600) good intake, roller valve train and so on for 4,000 bucks, what do those parts cost at stage prices, 10,000 + I assume.

I guess the bottom line is build the car you want to make yourself happy.
If you want to compete with bigger cheaper motors that don't have problems coming on boost you know what you have to do. If you are not into heads up racing or have a rare organization that gives a good weight break for the turbo v-6 the go for it. Just know WHEN you break the parts are harder to find and more expensive for the same power. Keep in mind I have owned 3 turbo buicks and 3 stage 2 motors. I wish that I would have bought a regal like Dusty and built a large SBC with a larger turbo.

I have contemplated the SBC for my new ride, but I just cant justify it right now. I have a 406 chevy with Dart Pro1 heads and a fuel inj manifold etc.I have a total of 3 complete big inch Buick V6 engines and 2 short stroke rotating assemblies. I am using a FB TH400 with a VSC and my 98 turbo, hopefully I can spool it fast enough for a pro tree. When my Buick stuff is all used up, THEN I will probably convert! If I were starting all over again from scratch, I definately would use the Chevy stuff......