turbo,cam,heads, ic ? opinion

bk1987

i wanted to know if you guys could give me your opinion, i have a 87 gn with 75k miles has the basic mods chip, dp, tb, atr hp/hv fuel pump, adj fuel press, scanmaster, everything else is stock. has run 12.77 @ 104 i want to do some mods that will get me in the high 10s the car is 90% street driven. i was looking at ported stockers,fm ic,turbo (bb)?,cam (roller/ flat) 2800 stall, like everyone else money is tight so i might not be able to get to all the mods right away so which ones would you do first THANKS :

To run 10's on a budget really isn't possible. With a 100% original car and add at least $10,000 in parts (cam, heads, turbo, injectors, fuel system, converter, tires, wheels, suspension, roll bar, etc.).

With that being said, these would be my key components...
- PTE or Cottons front mount intercooler.
- At least 55# injectors.
- 3200 stall converter (Art Carr 9" or Vigilante)
- At least a TE62 turbo.
- A good set of ported heads.
- Mild cam.
- 24+ psi boost & 1.5x 60' times.

Getting there and staying there are two big issues.

My suggestion is learn to max out what you have. You still have plenty left to tap into power wise.

Look at Ed Brewers example, 130K mile T.. 11.37 at 116.50 on a stock turbo/stock IC. You can learn a hell of a lot watching guys like him.

To run high 10's at every track visit...its gonna be a bunch of money. You have to build a high 9sec combo to run high 10's comfortably.

Heads, tranny, cam, cage, rear end, engine management, etc... 10K easy.

And you added the words daily driver.. best buy another car to drive while the Buick is getting whatever you broke last week fixed.. this is true when cars are built on budgets and raced. Even true when the best parts are bought.

I'm the king of doing it on the cheaps...and there is a lot of wrench turning involved.

HTH

You could go with a powerstroke intercooler and save enough to buy a set of new injectors.

I'd start with a good sized turbo 54, 67, 70 etc, a powerstroke, 55-83 lb injectors, a good 3200-3500 stall and see what you can do with that before tearing into a virgin engine. Pleanty of guys who have gone low 11s- high 10s with a stock block and bolt-ons. If that doesn't get you where you want to be, start looking at heads and a cam.

It won't be easy, and more than likely you'll break stuff.

Hydralic roller cam. Don't waste your time on a flat tappet. Comp Cams. The cams at Full Throttle are made by Comp.

Stop, figure out what you want, then go.
We've been down this road before with customers who want to run 10s and don't want to buy anything twice. It's a great idea, but doesn't always work out as you plan. Time and/or money can stop your project at any time and then what?? We also explain that when you do a project this way, you may sometimes take a step backwards before you go forwards. To generalize, heads/cam/intake are a package; turbo/convertor/intercooler are another package, and so on. You install a few packages and you have your 10s, but like mention above (or below) "...for how long..." You need a solid bottom end to support this new found power.

Hope this helps.

A good set of cylinder heads is at the heart of it all. Good heads will give you a real foundation to build from. Give me a call if you are interested.