Turbo blankets-anyone using them

ive thought about getting one of these and seeing if i could still fit my stock shield over it.

I ran one for a few years on my TH200-4R with no problems.
I have an out dated if you want it for cheap. It's an RCI

Joe

turbo blanket

Just put one on they work!!!!!! Ran the car hard and check the temp around the turbo area 430 degrees without, 220 with the blanket on! DP wrapped also. Used a digital heat gun from the same distance( 2 feet away ) for each test.:)

Turbo blankets

Chriss4665- which one did you piurchase from Weber?? The 3 bolt kit?

I have a PTE 6152 Turbo and see the specs on the #bot kit at Weber are ID 2.5" and OD 19" will this one fit?

JM

They work very well. I have a black one in my garage that is like new that I didn't really get to use. I had one on my turbo C5 Corvette as well. I'm going to sell mine if you want to see a pic, let me know.

Peter

I was entertaining one of those. It is a pretty tight fit I guess and they do have one for a T4. I had my turbo coated in black with temps that withstand 1800 degrees.

But, I am a little concerned about the hood pad being damaged from heat so I am leaning towards one.

they work very well. I have a black one in my garage that is like new that i didn't really get to use. I had one on my turbo c5 corvette as well. I'm going to sell mine if you want to see a pic, let me know.

Peter
t4?

blanket

I'am up here is canada so I got mine thru a local parts store! I think its the same brand that Weber is selling!! DEI . I used the T3 blanket on a te44 ,it fits good and doesn"t get in the way of the wastegate rod:smile:

blanket

FYI! The damm thing had me worried at first , did alot of smoking and smelling funny. All that stopped after 3 or 4 drives with it on!!!!:)

Turbo Blanket

I had seen pics of a turbo exhaust housing that was a pile of rust due to the use of a blanket (so they said).I've been looking at a blanket for years but lacked the guts after seeing a "rust housing".I think a blanket will accelerate rust but if the housing is coated I don't see a problem.Anyone got insight on this?

They work very well. I have a black one in my garage that is like new that I didn't really get to use. I had one on my turbo C5 Corvette as well. I'm going to sell mine if you want to see a pic, let me know.

Peter
could you please send me the pics. i am interested in buying one of these. will it fit under a heat shield?

In my experience of using wrap on headers and exhaust it promotes rust. Thats why manufactures say if you use them it voids the warranty, guessing that it would do the same on a turbo.

thanks 4 posting the PTP link. very nice. does anyone know if they will fit under a heat shield??

Here's a pic of the one that I have right now although I never got a chance to use it. I had a very similar one on my C5 Corvette and you could put your hand on the turbo blanket after driving the car. Does a great job of keeping the heat in.

Attachments

• blanket.JPG
    blanket.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 228
hello people; I think that blanket is a good idea but what's the cost?
Years ago out of a JC Whitney catalog I bought a combo roll and some larger amount of heat material. What I did was take the turbo shield off and cut some of the big material to kinda fit the contour of the upper area of the turbo and then weived in some safty wire to keep it on. Then put the cover back on. It's fryed a bit and I just cut that with some scissors. It might keep some heat off but not much.
IBBY
how's my spelling to day
another thing I had my shield PC black and I believe it does not decipate the heat as well as just plain stock alum.