Turbo 400 users

northerngn

Master Monkeywrench
Did you change from a 3.42 rear gear to something a little steeper being that a 2004r has a lot steeper 1st gear than a 400?

I'd hate to do a 400 swap this winter and then go slower cause I lost 60ft time due to the shallower 400 1st gear...

Thanks!

The car has plenty of torque to overcome the gear change. I think the higher gear actually helps. I love the gear spread of the 400. The only thing I miss is the OD on the highway, but it isn't too bad.

You will most likely have to leave with a little more rpm and boost with the 400 but that is not a bad thing.

My car is at Jack Cotton's shop as we speak to have a 400 installed. I spoke with Jack today and he said that the job's done but they only did a little road test with it, but everything looked fine. I can't wait to try it out! :) He also said they put in a PTC converter for now and we'll see how it performs at the track and decide if we'll keep that one or upgrade to something else.

Claude. ;)

Ok I'll give it a shot with the 3.42's as they are a fresh gearset (installed new gears when i freshened the rearend and switched to 33 spline axles and c clip elims) I have no problem leaving with more(15psi launch has been the highest so far) 18-20 should 60 g00d right?;)

-Dan

HI CLAUDE ...good move going to a 400 and ptc...PTC seems to be very popular in the turbo buick world ,,,,I like my 9 inch in my 2004r 249 stroker street driven GN ...I am about to sell it and a tear comes to my eye when i think about it.