turbine size

daverr

i was wondering it seems to me that turbos (stock to t-63) all have similar size exhaust turbines???wouldn`t bigger turbos benfit from bigger turbine??

daverr said:
i was wondering it seems to me that turbos (stock to t-63) all have similar size exhaust turbines???wouldn`t bigger turbos benfit from bigger turbine??

Some turbo combinations overlap in max power, but the turbine wheels & housing a/r's selected to drive the compressor impacts response. The turbine wheel choice used could enhance Low, Mid, or Higher RPM usage depending on engine size & turbine housng a/r ratio.

Its a pretty deep subject, but the bottom line is certain turbine wheels would not be a good match to drive the compressor and the reverse would also apply. Compressor wheels move a certain amount of air at a given compressor wheel rpm & pressure ratio. (Compressor Wheel Flow Maps) So for a god match you don't want to under drive or overdrive the compressor wheel speed out of its efficency range.

A reference listing of comp. & turbine combo's can be found at:

http://www.precisionturbo.net/turbochargers-display.php?company_id=101795&category_id=3022

Joe