Tuning with a 72# ME chip

J-Rod

I have a car that has been runing for awhile now. We've been busy racing another car, and haven't had much time to spend on getting the tune right on the GN. So now, things have evened out a bit, and its time to spend some time on the GN.

The car as I said s running 72# injectors with a 16pos thumbwheel chip. It has:
ported GN1s
TA64
ATR RP309G hydr. Roller
CAS FMIC
70MM accubfab TB
BGC Intake

Here are two DS caps.
http://users3.ev1.net/~black_ops/gn/gn-cap1
http://users3.ev1.net/~black_ops/gn/gn-cap2

Here is the issue with the car. It feels and acts like it is pig rich. I have the FP down to 38 lbs. I have de-screened the MAF. I realize the best thing is going to be some dyno time with a wideband. But, I want to try to get as much as I can up front. I know the max-effort chips are supposed to be close, but it seems lik I really need to lean the car out.

The car gets to about 12 lbs of boost, and starts to break up. When it does, you can see the 02 volts jumping around, and the car just falls on its face.

Anyhow, before I go leaning the thing way out, I wanted to see if anything else looked out of the ordinary. If you have time to look at it, that would be great. I'm just way out of pratice on my GN tuning, as we have been playing with a lot of LS1/LS6 stuff. I just don't want to ovelook something simple, so it never hurts to have a few extra sets of eyes look at something for you.

Thanks...

which chip do you have? The one with the fuel offset in pos A?

you don't lean it out with fuel pressure, you change the fueling with the thumbwheel.......I imagine your fuel pressure should be 40-45 lbs

if you cannot get it dialed in at about position C, you need to adjust the offset

you need to know where you are tho.....like with egt or wideband

In just glancing at it quickly J Rod you short shifted and didn't come out of spool up mode.
You need to shift at 5600,... 5200 minimum.

TPS can never be over .46 at idle, running, and it was 50 something. That's a huge problem.
Also a TPS high error, thats another huge problem, keep it at 4.0 volts or a little higher. Don't go over 4.6-4.7 at wot.

Cal pak missing, another problem.

That chip is for 20 pounds of boost or more, anything less and you will be rich. Don't ever nail it on pump gas, you will be asking for it. Pump gas is just for putting around taking it easy. Unless you have alcohol injection that is, and in that case you would probably need to take the offset down.

I am not sure that chip was set up for your car, where did you get it?
Are you sure it is not set up to run with a translator?

Steve

I got the chip from Conley's Performance. I gave them the specs on the car, and this is what I got. As for a translator, no it was not.

It is a street car, so I'd like to be able to run it on pump gas around 18PSI, and get into the boost, and when we go to the track, switch it over to race gas, and turn the boost up...

I need to adjust the TV cable on the transmission as you pointed out it is short shifting right now.

The TPS voltage was set, but it may be off now. I will go back and check that right away.

As for the Cal Pak, forgive my ignorance, which Cal Pak are you referring to?

Thanks for the help.

The cal pack is the little chip that goes in next to where you plug the regular chip into the computer.
You need to find one.
Look and see if it is missing from the socket. If so, someone on the boards will have one.

There is an updated version for you to run that may be easier for you.

Be real carefull on pump gas, 18 PSI is pushing it , in some cars.
You should consider alcohol injection for pump gas.

Make sure the TV is fully extended at WOT but you probably need to go in and trim the governor to get the rpm's up at wot.
No big deal. I think about a gram off the center of the spring loaded governor is worth about 300 rpm but am not exactly sure. That's what we found once but every car may be a little differant, you would need to play with it.

Give me an email bud and we'll get you squared away.

Thanks to Woody and Neal for lending a hand.

Steve

Thanks to everyone who has responded in this thread, and by email. I will post results as soon as I am able to do some more testing.

Originally posted by J-Rod
Thanks to everyone who has responded in this thread, and by email. I will post results as soon as I am able to do some more testing.

Any updates J-Rod?