Tuning Question- Using EGT?

VtheGNMan

I've been doing a lot of reading this winter with the snow flying and come across this on GNTType Org.
I cut and pasted it below my comments for reading the authors remarks.

It doesn't seems many people are using EGT for tuning anymore or there is not much discussion on it. I know this is probably old info but it got me curious as to why we don't use an EGT gauge? Seems like an easy gauge to add and if the info is correct, an easy way to tell if you are set up correctly or not. Everybody goes wideband O2s and powerloggers now to tune with.

Is it because this ideal temp reading is for using 100% race gas only (116 Oct) and with 93 oct and a cooling effect of Alky the ideal temp range would be different?

Sorry if this has been beaten to death in the past. I didn't come across anything with a search here, just questions as to where to get one and the like. Newer guys ask questions to learn.

Cut and Pasted from Hot and Spicy Turbo Regal Recipe:
The absolute best tool that a serious turbo Regal racer can have for tuning the car is an exhaust gas temperature gauge (EGT). The one that I use and recommend is the unit sold by Auto Avionics (800) 334-4913. Tuning in the manner will give you repeatable performance. The optimum exhaust gas temperature for the turbo Regal is around 1450-1500 degree. By having a gauge to monitor this, you know when you have the engine in the range where it is making maximum horsepower. Another item that every racer should not be without is a knock detector. This, in conjunction with an EGT gauge assures you that there is no detonation and the car is making maximum power. The unit that I have used and prefer is sold by Torque Technologies. With these two items on your car it basically makes tuning the car a matter of adjusting fuel pressure to bring the EGT in line with the recommended temperature. The knock detector assures you that you have enough octane. We use and recommend Sunoco Cam II Blue (116 Octane). However, there are many other racing fuels that are of excellent quality. Just remember to check the burn rate and get the highest octane available without sacrificing your burn rate. Your fuel supplier should be able to help you with this.

like you said its areally old post before widebands were cheaply available
and you can do much better with wideband

Wideband allows for tuning in all rpm ranges, the egt method sounds like would be for wot only.

It doesn't seems many people are using EGT for tuning anymore or there is not much discussion on it. I know this is probably old info but it got me curious as to why we don't use an EGT gauge? Seems like an easy gauge to add and if the info is correct, an easy way to tell if you are set up correctly or not. Everybody goes wideband O2s and powerloggers now to tune with
ive used both and the egt is a great gauge to have if you have one on each cylinder,not off the collective gases.i prefer the wb02 to read collective exhaust and feel its much easier to tune with.inmo pulling the plugs is best,leaving a cushion is very important especially if your looking at gauges that read all of the exhaust together.

Great points guys. That's what I was wondering, the pros and cons and reasons why EGT is no longer used.
I need to read up more on Widebands. I guess I just thought if you tuned for WOT then everything else would be on par too. I'm not sure I want to add a powerlogger since that would mean a laptop or something to log too also unless someone makes an app for a tablet. Plus I have not been to a track yet and not making any plans to. Just making a fun street car. I could always add a stand alone Wideband and gauge. I do want a safe tune.

We have several members that employ EGT probes in their header primaries. I'll be one of them in the future once I pull the engine out.

Egt is a good tool when used with the wideband but not good to rely on as a single tuning aid. I think its usefull to see how much timing an engine can tolerate. The EGT's being to high could indicate retarded timing. I've run them as high as 1800F+ without any meltdown issues.
FYI - have a good set of Inconel valves if your going to push it hard......
AG.