Tuning Meth vs water

F8L Z71

I was looking at some calcs by John Estill

And in those calcs he shows the cooling effect of water, Methanol, Ethanol, and Isopropyl.. In those calcs he shows Methanol as having the best cooling properties BUT it looks like there is more Meth being used to do so. My quesiton then is. If I were to tune my truck on Meth, then run low one day and dump water in the tank instead am I going to have any adverse effects like drowning the motor because I am pump the same amount of water as I did Meth?

John Estill's calcs:
John Estill's calcs:
Water injection: 0.40 lb/min of water will vaporize, cooling the air down from 150 F to 109 F.

Methanol:
100%: 1.08 lb/min of methanol will vaporize, cooling the air from 150 F to 96 F.
50%: 0.55 lb/min of methanol/water will vaporize, cooling the air from 150 F to 107 F

Ethanol:
100%: 1.26 lb/min of ethanol will vaporize, cooling the air from 150 F to 100 F.
50%: 0.57 lb/min of ethanol/water will vaporize, cooling the air from 150 F to 108 F

Isopropyl:
70%: 0.76 lb/min of alcohol will vaporize, cooling the air from 150 F to 107 F.
91%: 1.14 lb/min of alcohol will vaporize, cooling the air from 150 F to 104 F.
100: 1.50 lb/min of alcohol will vaporize, cooling the air from 150 F to 102 F.

Yup.. cuase your looking at it from a cooling standpoint only. Your not factoring in the "burn" that methanol provides. Whereby water steams.. methanol burns. That "burn" is what makes the motor rip since your burning higher octane fuel at a reduced temperature.

;)

Gotcha. So I'll be ok switching from water to meth or any combination of it as long as I'm not on the ragged edge of deteonation with the Methanol right?

Originally posted by Razor
Yup.. cuase your looking at it from a cooling standpoint only. Your not factoring in the "burn" that methanol provides. Whereby water steams.. methanol burns. That "burn" is what makes the motor rip since your burning higher octane fuel at a reduced temperature.

I tend to look at it, as they both vaporize, and then disassociate. The Alky doing it a lower temp., and thus absorbing more heat as it does so, for a given temp..
With the low end aromatics of gas boiling as low as 130dF, the alky also more closely matches that characteristic. And might make for a more uniform reaction in the chamber, but that's just speculation on my part.