Tuning Advice?

carryon525

Years back I did drag race a different GN but its been a while so I could use advice. My current set up consist of
Te-44
.10 over with weisco piston
205/210 cam
009's
93 TT chip
Balanced/blueprinted
about 5000 miles since complete rebuild
93 octane NO eth.
Of course tons of other bolts on LT1 MAF,Big Mouth intake, heavy springs, and so on....

I do know that alcohol is a big factor but I currently need to wait on that so

Questions pertain to my knock.
A couple weeks back when cruising around 35 then getting on it I got 7 degrees knock!
Fuel pressure at that time was at 48 line off which is way high but no other changes from below except I had regular 93 octane which should not make much of a difference from the ethen. free. The car was at my step dad's for a very long time and he is not familiar with anything on the car. (we are co-owners I just brought the car to my place after 3 years with him and I'm freshening up the car including tuning it for a powerful street car only not raceing

Fast forward to yesterday after adjusting the fuel pressure and TPS
Boost currently shows 16-17psi
Fuel pressure currently is set at 42-43 line off
Have not messed with the TT chip settings or translator (which I most likely will not tune with the translator at all)
Cruising and getting on it I now show o'2s at 728 and down to 2.5 degrees (only have scanmaster)
Of course I want to have zero knock but also realize I have way more power left in the car. Without adding the alcohol kit should I adjust the fuel pressure up a hair in the chip or regulator OR just the chip at this point? Also, to see if the 16PSI can pull a bit harder should I also ever so slightly increase the timing and WOT fuel pressure in the chip and not mess with boost? So basically tune for the strongest 16-17PSI I can without having the alcohol kit?

I will say the car did seem to pull a bit harder when the fuel pressure line off was way high at 48PSI. However, my stepdad did not know how to adjust the chip settings so that's hy I think line off was so high.

Sometime a little knock will show up when stabbing the go pedal, rolling into it is better. But, what was not mentioned in your post is fuel pump, my first thought is weak fuel pump. Do you have a fuel pump hot wire kit? We need to look at fuel pressure rise, looking for 60 psi during 17lbs of boost, if not close, its sounding like fuel supply issue. 728 02s is to low, need more fuel to get 780. Leave base pressure at 43 or close.

I will say the car did seem to pull a bit harder when the fuel pressure line off was way high at 48PSI.

I wouldn't get too hung up on forcing your car to run at 43psi. 43psi is just a starting point. Some cars respond better to higher fuel pressures.

Cruising and getting on it I now show o'2s at 728 and down to 2.5 degrees (only have scanmaster)
car is lean and knocking time to turn the boost down,get 02s up and eliminate all knock.learn to tune with a cushion or your going to hurt it.

Sometime a little knock will show up when stabbing the go pedal, rolling into it is better. But, what was not mentioned in your post is fuel pump, my first thought is weak fuel pump. Do you have a fuel pump hot wire kit? We need to look at fuel pressure rise, looking for 60 psi during 17lbs of boost, if not close, its sounding like fuel supply issue. 728 02s is to low, need more fuel to get 780. Leave base pressure at 43 or close.
Yes, I have the hot wire kit and I do realize that 728 is low. I'll remember to look at my fuel gauge closer when I get on it next time. Since I'm leaving the base pressure at 43psi do you recommend adding the fuel from the chip say the WOT feature about 2% increments?

I wouldn't get too hung up on forcing your car to run at 43psi. 43psi is just a starting point. Some cars respond better to higher fuel pressures.
Correct I agree but with that being said do you recommend adding WOT fuel through my chip and not regualtor

Correct I agree but with that being said do you recommend adding WOT fuel through my chip and not regualtor
Its generally better to make adjustments through the chip. But if your idle and/or low speed BLMs are on the rich side you can lower fuel pressure on the regulator to help that.

Man I have it running PERFECT now. All I had to do was adjust the regulator back to 43PSI and go into chip and only add 2% WOT fuel and now I have ZERO knock at WOT and at idle in gear the car idle at 750-780 and does not bounce around low or high like it used to. I'm possibly going to either turn boost up a hair now or maybe timing a touch just to see. Question I do have is; my idle seems a hair high and the TPS show .48 at idle which is a bit high. I turned it down to .44 but I can't get it to stay. Do I need to just toque it down harder.

Since IAC affects tps, turn IAC a tad (not sure of direction) and tps will hit .42. I just did it this way last week.