Tuning 101...am I a dumbass?

stickybones

What?
Is it just me or do others have problems tuning these cars? So many people make it sound so simple. Adjust this, turn that, get a scan tool...etc and you're in the 12s. I have a scanmaster and some basic mechanical sense, but I'll be damned if I can get my GN to cooperate with me. I try to adjust the IAC and that does nothing. My boost the other day was good for 20 psi plus, today I can't get it over 16. I see no knock retard with O2s in the 800s so I (try) to turn up the boost. Boost goes nowhere but my O2s get higher.:confused: I think I've been chasing an exhaust leak for 5 years now (boost spike). The 009 injectors have me pulling my hair out with the f$%^ing off idle stumble. Yeah, I know it's not the injectors. But damn, how do I get this beast up to its full potential? I'm sick of the 14s @100. This thing should be 13.2s at 104 or so.

If there was only a class I could take. GN 101, an introduction to tuning your turbo regal. Yeah, that would be nice.

Sorry for ranting, but does anyone have any advice?:mad:

Order a Testa chip for the 009s. Then head up to Ron's and Let paul/mike/jack search for your leak!

_BOB

Dunno where you are in NJ but if you are anywhere near Jim Testa and/or Rich Rezes I would try to get ahold of them. They'll get ya going in the right direction.

This is GN101. Also, an exhaust leak can or will cause a stumble. Some GM top engine cleaner, or something like that, would show you where the leaks are coming from. Also, make sure the O2 sensor is screwed in tight.

yeah, I had a leak free car until I poured a little top cleaner in there....:D

or so I thought....best test I know.

Try Jim or Rich for some quality help at the right price if you don't have any experienced GN buddies nearby.

gm top cleaner

simple question, what is GM top engine cleaner and how do you use it to find vacuum leaks ????
Thanks

Stanhope???

Are you the guy Bruced Speed Shop consulted me on a GN's combo?

Anyway, I'm in Rockaway, about 20 mins away, would be glad to help ya out one weekend.

Get in touch

Jim
jim@turbojim.com

That is the name of it. Go to the parts counter and ask for it.

It is designed to clean carbon off the valves and combustion chamber. You disconnect the maf, disconnect the up pipe and turn it upside down, crank the engine, pour it slowly into the up pipe and it generates one heck of a smoke cloud as it comes out the tail pipe....and every other crack in the exhaust system. :D

I guess anything you pour in there that will smoke will do the job...the Top Cleaner might help..altho some fear that it might break a piece of carbon loose that would go thru the turbo...not sure what the odds of that are. :)

Keep is steam cleaned with alky injection-no body ever worries about that doing the same thing. :)