tunerpro rt and winaldl

dlo

Both have programs which are downloadable free off net, both seem to plug into the aldl port. does anyone know if both programs will use the same aldl cable? Do they need to be aldl to serial-9 or can both run off aldl to usb?

I've used both programs with a homemade aldl to serial port cable, so yes they both can use the same cable. I've been told that usb to serial adapters work with these also but I have not used one myself.

WinALDL is very basic but does display the ALDL data. TunerPro does much more and even helps you with chip mods if you want to try your hand at making custom chips. You'll need a revised xdf file to "see" all the chip data but I can provide one if you need it.

I'm curious about this to. I was cleaning out the garage today and found an ALDL to USB cable I had bought for some reason.

If I can use it and with one of the free programs, just to keep an eye on things until I get a Powerlogger, that would be great.

This approach is an economical way to monitor sensor data but by no means is a substitute for the more advanced programs. If you currently have nothing then definitely consider using one of the free apps.

The cables are readily available. Here is just one source:
http://www.aldlcable.com/sc/details.asp?item=aldlobd1
or you can make your own (do search for "aldl cable").

If anyone uses the USB version, please post the results.

I found a place on the web with the cheapest aldl cables i have found. They are called Red Devil River, they carry both serial to aldl and usb to aldl. The rep i talked to advised to get the usb to aldl cable as it would work on both programs, and would not limit me to just using a serial port. The cables look like they go for around 55 bucks shipping included. I still would not mind hearing from someone firsthand whom has used a serial to usb for both programs with success.

I found a place on the web with the cheapest aldl cables i have found. They are called Red Devil River, they carry both serial to aldl and usb to aldl. The rep i talked to advised to get the usb to aldl cable as it would work on both programs, and would not limit me to just using a serial port. The cables look like they go for around 55 bucks shipping included. I still would not mind hearing from someone firsthand whom has used a serial to usb for both programs with success.

I got it working now.

Need to find out how I can monitor knock now.

You get the basic stuff like rpm, mph, and coolant temp. The more useful TPS and current IAC position is there for checking their adjustments. For tuning, you can look at O2 volts. For troubleshooting, you can look at Battery Voltage, MAF, BLM, and O2 Transitions.

You can monitor knock events but it is a little tricky. First you look at the Knock Retard which is the total degrees of retard for all knock events being processed. In other words, if a knock is detected and results in say, 1.3 degrees retard, and is followed by another knock event for 1.5 degrees then the Retard value displayed is the total for both (2.8).
When the knock sensor "senses" knocking, the computer must determine the severity so that it can apply the appropriate spark retard. The ecm uses a counter to do this. It starts counting at the beginning of the knock event and stops at the end. The displayed "ESC" value is this counter's value divided by 256. A single knock event always advances the counter but since we only see the number after it is divided by 256, the displayed ESC number might change or it might not. It depends on the knock severity.
I focus more on the retard degrees to monitor knocks. Each knock event always increases the retard. And lastly, be aware that the retard shown does not necessarily represent all knock events because of the slow ALDL data refresh rate.