TTA undercarriage paint

mark b

Dumb question time: did all the TTA's get this grayish paint/coating on the bottom? Is it actually another coat of paint or the primer? It looked to me like it was sprayed "over" the white, not vice-versa, hence I don't think it's primer.

I'd like to paint mine with something like Eastwood's chassi black, but I'm torn between the stock look and adding some extra protection against rust, etc.

I'm definitely not using POR-15 anymore.....

It's primer. Pretty durable stuff. Don't know about your car or what you've done/are doing to it. Mine (CT too) is a stocker and I'm resisting the urge to paint anything. I raised mine up and pressure washed the whole undercarriage (only 16k so it was pretty easy). The "working" side of any car is more functional and has overspray, etc. - If I ever need to do a full resto (and on other cars I have), I don't hesitate to pull the body, suspension, etc. and paint or powder coat. A car with an arguable collector following (like a TTA, a Hemi, anything with limited production, etc.), I resist the temptation. It still shows good - those that know appreciate it & you protect the originality factor to boot.

That said, if you're dying to do it, do it - but you can't go back!!

I cleaned mine, removed any rust spots etc POR 15 that then undercoated the lot properly. I got 102.000 miles on mine and it needed to be taken care of so I'm keeping it stock appering but also like to keep it rust free :) I had SFC's installed as well and the undercoating makes it look more "stock" actually once I did the undercoating.

mark b: What's wrong with POR15?

Jan - did you get my email with the duct pictures? I tried to send it Saturday but I copied my work email and it didn't arrive here! Let me know and I can re-send.

I used POR-15 around 14 years ago when it first came out. I, and many others, are convinced they reformulated the product and it's not nearly as good. On several cars in the last few years, I have done every prep step with every one of their products and the stuff has either peeled or or quickly became worn and started to come off. The stuff on the cars from 14 years ago is still there.

I know many people still have good luck with it, but not me. It especially doesn't work on non-rusty metal even though I have used the metal-prep, por-15 and topcoat. I used it on the metal inner fenders of an older car and it practically turned gray.

I used to think it was the greatest paint ever invented for rust solutions and prevention. No more!