TTA rearend help please!

TNTTA

Snake Killer
What gear oil and posi additive are we supposed to use?Replaced mine with 80/90w and k&w posi lube.If this is wrong please someone tell me.My rear is making a poping sound at low speeds now!

I use the GM Posi additive and GM gear oil bought at guess where..a GM dealership...

Some have used the synthetic stuff..but the GM stuff is what the manual calls for.IMO

HTH

Thanks for the reply.I hadn't thought about that.Is the GM stuff special to our cars?It sounds like something is bad wrong like the ring & pinion are fighting each other.Thanks again.

I use Mobil 1 without the limited slip lube. Never have/had a problem with any rear running like this. Of course I change it out every year so maybe that makes a difference.

I have heard on thirdgen boards BorgWarner rearend do not like posi additives??? Ah who knows, use synthetic and forget about it. Mobil 1, or AMSOil

Did anybody on the thirdgen board say posi additive hurt there's.Mine sounds like the spider gears are crunching together at low speeds.Again this thing did not start making this noise till after the fluid was changed.Took it back to the mechanic where I had it changed and he opened it up.Everything seemed to be in order no metal shavings at all gears looked good no wear.I'm going to try the mobil-1 thing thanks for the replies.

I used generic gear oil and additive in my TTA and shortly there after it sounded as if my rear end was falling apart. Put GM oil and Additive and it is as quiet as new. I was amazed that the fluid would cause this. Others claimed ththey had this happen, but I wouldn't have believedit but for my own ordeal!

Jim

Originally posted by automorph
I have heard on thirdgen boards BorgWarner rearend do not like posi additives??? Ah who knows, use synthetic and forget about it. Mobil 1, or AMSOil

Amsoil can be used without the additive and meets the GM specification.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube is Recommended for Applications Requiring the Following Specifications:

API MT-1, GL-2 THROUGH GL-5

MIL-PRF-2105E

MACK GO-J, GO-J PLUS

CHRYSLER MS-9070

GM 12346190

FORD M2C-201-A

ROCKWELL 0-76-E

EATON PS-037A, PS-109

AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube provides limited slip performance. Although generally not necessary, original equipment manufacturers' limited slip additives may be used in conjunction with AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube.

Going to install my TTA rearend this weekend and I was going to change the oil in it. I'm assuming you can buy the cover gasket at AutoZone? BTW, how much oil do I put back in? TIA

If you are getting "clanking sounds" ...then you need the GM Limited Slip additive $7.95 at a GM dealership 4 oz bottle. You fill case until it starts running out of plug hole. I would recommend adding the additive first and pour the gear oil on top of that. My buddy did it the other way around and the lighter stuff (GM additive) was the first to flow out the hole when he reached the max level. live and learn.

DM