TTA Doing 10's?!?!?!

BlackRob91

Hi guys I was just wondering if I have what it takes to dip into the high 10's after fine tuning. Its still in the process of being put together but all said and done this is what the car wil have. Guys in the high tens tell me what u think I really would like to achieve at least a 10.9 this summer!?!?

TTA Modifications List

Engine (3K miles)

Balanced and blueprinted bottom end
Stock crank std/std etc
Shot peened stock rods on stock pistons with file fit rings
High volume oil pump
204/214 speedpro cam
ARP head bolts
Heads and intake are port matched, back cut valves, LT1 springs
Stock TB and plenum with RJC power plate
Brand new sensors installed throughout
65lb Injectors
Adj fuel pressure regulator
Double roller timing chain

Exhaust
PT51 Turbo with .63 housing
ATR stainless Down pipe and crossover
ATR stainless exhaust system with cutout

Transmission/Drive train
CK Performance Stage 2 kit and has a new forward drum
Stock 9 Bolt rear
Stock wheels
New Front tires
Mickey Thompson Drag Radials 245 50 16

Brakes/Suspension
Cross drilled front rotors
Global west tubular sub frame connectors
Line Lock installed center console

Electronics
SMC Alcohol Kit
Auto meter boost gauge
Hotwire Walbro pump
Volt booster
Extender chip
LS1 MAF
Translator

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86357

The TTA is heavier than a GN.. so look at GN's running 10.7's for a 10.9 recipe with a TTA.

I dont think in the summer heat with a 51 you'll get the job done. Not with whats listed. Its technically close on some merits based on what others have run, but not in the heat.

The motor lacks a girdle or caps for extended abuse. The heads are key to making power.. as is the cam. Then the bottom end to handle the power.

I think it may have a 10.9 in it.. but in the fall, if you get everything working correctly. My car with a 210/205 hyd cam/TE64 turbo,in BG ran 10.9 on a stock shortblock. My old car with a TE67 few weeks ago ran 10.9. Stock shortblock.

You'll need a lot of alcohol to get the number on pump gas, and learn to tune the motor.

HTH

I havn't actually weighed one, but

Every source of information I have read from says that the curb weight of a stock tta is 3350 lbs and a grand national is usually 3600+

turbows6 said:
Every source of information I have read from says that the curb weight of a stock tta is 3350 lbs and a grand national is usually 3600+

Your sources are flawed. IF you own a TTA.. weigh it. If you dont.. then you'll never know.

A T Type with roll-up windows/hardtop is 100's lighter.

My basically stock TTA with 2 gallons of gas weighed right at 3500lbs. My GN with drag lites weighed 3450. The GN has a front mount and a 7 disc Vigilante. Otherwise basically stock.

Weighed my Stocker...3700lbs, with me IN IT!! Others have weighed thier and had SIMILAR Results...some IDIOT on TBS.com keeps Spouting about TTA's being lighter, and thats where these folks are drawing thier conclusions from...

With me in the car, the TTA was 3740. I was hoping for 3500 with me in the car too. :biggrin:

Sweet6 said:
My basically stock TTA with 2 gallons of gas weighed right at 3500lbs. My GN with drag lites weighed 3450. The GN has a front mount and a 7 disc Vigilante. Otherwise basically stock.

Mine at Reynolds was 3600 with me out of the car on their digital scale that was certified the week prior.

Girdle, 9inch Ford, subframe connectors, all add weight. Its had 50 lbs added to it since then.. :wink:

'87 RX-7 with GN drivetrain: 2850lbs with driver in street trim ;)

With lightweight rims/tires, no passenger seat, no sparetire/rear carpet or driver it was 2670lbs....

Those TTA's sure are portly ha ha ha!

lets leave RX7s alone :p I may have one as a parts car if I don't hurry up and find out whats wrong with it :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Razor I have upgraded my wheel inside my PT 51 turbo to a 62 wheel which is the biggest wheel for that turbo, which is good to about 625hp from 585hp I believe says Limit Engingeering?! what the best times you guys think I will be seeing in my TTA now? check this guy out:
http://www.89tta.com/ttapicbl.htm

You can tune on a stock turbo faster than that.. Look at Bo's car 11.34 on a TA49.. but it didnt run 11.34 all the time, in other words he ran in great weather and got the number. Things get weird when you try and blow past that 11.3 number.. the next big hurdle is 11.0. that one takes an unbelievable amount of coercong to clip.. anyone who's run it knows what i'm talking about.

You need a 67 turbo to run high 10's on a hot day in summer. mid-high in better cooler weather.

Cuase someone can hail mary a run.. dont mean the car will always run the number. Your car may be a factory freak with unbelievable potential.. not always the case for most of us..

625 HP is 500rwhp to the wheels.. 500=about 118-120 MPH.. not enough for a 10 second pass unless you can bonzai a 20 PSI launch on slicks.. you need to target 100 in the 1/8 to get that 10.99 with a decent 60 foot.

The power in these motors is turbo/heads/cam. You dont really have all three. Unless you want to blow 32-34 PSI boost.. then you'll have your chance, and its not going to do the number on the SMC alky kit.. there isnt enough volume to support what your wanting to achieve. Ask me how I know.

Maybe in the winter with perfect weather and your tuneup dead on nuts with slicks.... you can get close to the 10.99..

HTH

Let ya do the math..

Lol funny how I found out who u really were haha and I did buy your kit not SMC, yea I believe it was chopper who i talked to! and he told me that the biggest wheel for the PT 51 Turbo was the 62wheel?!?! whats up with that I NEED to give him a call man. Oh yea and the cam Im looking for is a 218 you said right? where can I find it?

Get a 67 from Limit, leave the cam in if already installed.. you'll need a 3400 stall converter, and start to tune on it. At 23 PSI you should run low-mid 11's.. once you get it figured out to this point.. move from there to 25/26 it will drop into the 10's.

Work on learning to tune it.. I cant say enough.. tune tune tune..

When you start running low 11's.. call me to add a second nozzle to the kit.

Work with what you got..

Razor do you think if I took a 3in DP for a regal and had it fabricated to fit my TTA it would work?!?!?! Whats the main differences between the DP for the Regal and the TTA?!?! And can a local exhaust shop do it if possible?!?! Thanks Rob